Mike, Other
Experience:  Tech Expert

Hi, I have a Astra Estate 1.7 cdti ecoflex 09 which is idling

Hi, I have a Astra Estate 1.7 cdti ecoflex 09 which is idling very badly and although wonderfully rhythmic cuts out if it dips too low. It stopped for a while and I blamed supermarket fuel but it has now started again and I'm only putting quality fuel in. It had a service couple of months ago at Vauxhall which didn't flag anything up as it was behaving itself then. I specifically asked for the fuel filter to be changed but it obviously isn't that...any ideas will be much appreciated as I do hundreds of miles per week and its getting quite annoying.
Category: Vauxhall
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 2 years ago.

I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.

We have been working with the Experts to try to help you with your question. Sometimes it may take a bit of time to find the right fit.

I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Experts.

Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

No I have not found the answer, are you not confident that you are going to find the answer? If that is so I will have a refund but if you think that the answer is out there then I would like to carry on.

Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Hello Lynette and Welcome -

My name is XXXXX XXXXX Im happy to help you .. Sorry to see you have had a wait..

Before we progress or I suggest anything - can I just ask - what is the mileage on the car?

Do you get any fault lights at all come up on the dash when driving - or when this happens?

Do you see any excessive smoke from the back / exhaust- and if so , what colour?

Any other symptoms ?

Please let me know on the above - then we can progress. Once I receive your reply - I will get back to you asap thereafter..

Kind Rgds, MIKE..................................
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Mike, the mileage is smoke and doesn't burn any oil at all...also no warning lights...another thing that happens is when the revs dip down it makes a clicking noise and sometimes when I pull up at a junction it cuts out but always starts...this only happens when its idling or pulling up at a drives fine.

Many thanks, Lynette

Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Hello again -

Thank you for your reply -

First my sincere apologies that I could only just get back to you , I was unexpectedly off yesterday Im afraid ..

Ok with the full info that you have given me, there is a known fault with this particular model that will give exactly the symptoms you describe - Vauxhall - as a company know about this issue - seemingly the individual dealer either doesn't or didn't think on about it - but Vauxhall issued a bulletin on the issue and I will give it you to help you to get this sorted.

The basic fault that you have is with a faulty / worn fuel flow control valve which is located on the diesel pump. When its faulty - as yours is , it affects fuel flow to the injectors and causes cut outs as you describe -so it basically needs that renewing.

This fault will often cause a fault light and fault code - but not always - so I suspect this is why the dealer has not considered it at all ( they do tend to reply heavily on fault lights etc - ie, - no faulty light / fault codes, we dont know! ).. The bulletin I will give you explains all the modification- but as yours is so intermittent, its evidently in the early stages of failure - so not so far out of "spec" to cause a fault light and code -

So here is the bulletin info for you - Mention this to the dealer ( or whatever garage you might use ) and renewing that part should see this cured altogether for you ;)

Affected vehicles
  • All models with 1,7 Diesel ( EcoFLEX ) engine, →04/06/09.
Problem ( All or some of )
  • Engine stalls/cuts out when vehicle comes to a standstill.
  • Poor throttle response.
  • Engine fails to start.
  • Engine malfunction indicator lamp (MIL) illuminated. Trouble code stored: P0093.
  • Fuel flow control valve faulty.
  • Fit modified fuel flow control valve (located on high-pressure fuel pump).

So thats the way now to get this sorted out for you -

Do let me know if you need anything else at all Lynette -

Kind Rgds - MIKE.

...>>> >> > Meantime..............Please do click on the "OK/ Excellent ratings" for me as that's how Im credited for helping you - Thank you in advance for that...

You can and are most welcome to get back to me anytime you might need - clicking the OK ratings does not close you out at all..

Rgds, MIKE.

Mike, Other
Experience: Tech Expert
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks Mike that's what I came up with when I researched it. I'm confident enough to get the job done now! Thank you so much.

Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
No problem at all Lynette -

Im very pleased to have helped you --

If there is ever anything else, you are welcome back anytime - you know where I am ;)

Kind Rgds and all the best - MIKE.

( Please take a moment to fill in the Feedback on the Fb tab if you haven't already - Thank you very much.... Mike )