Mike, Other
Experience:  Tech Expert

I have a diesal 2001 Vauxhall astra 1.7 dti eco4 and when cold

I have a diesal 2001 Vauxhall astra 1.7 dti eco4 and when cold it jumpsw for about ten minutes until the engine warms up. After that it does not do it gain until the next morning. I have had the fuel pump solonoid replaced and the fuel jets have re-conditioned. There is no sign of contamination in the fuel filter and the jets have been retested and are fine. The prob lem continues however. COuld you advise please?
Category: Vauxhall
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 2 years ago.

I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.

We have been working with the Experts to try to help you with your question. Sometimes it may take a bit of time to find the right fit.

I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Experts.

Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?

Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Hello and Welcome -

My name is XXXXX XXXXX Im happy to help you -

I need to know a couple of things -

What mileage does it have?

What is its general service / repair ( recent ) history?

Do you have any fault lights on the dash at all?

Have you had any diagnostics / fault code reads done - ?

Please also give me the Full reg number -

Kind Rgds, MIKE...........................................
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Mileage is 91687

Registration DY51EWF.

The diagnostic code initially shown pointed to an issue with the fuel pump solonoid which has been replaced. No further codes have ever appeared. Three fuel jet nosels have been replaced after work done to fit a reconditioned jet including nosel made no difference. The jets have been checked twice, once when replacing with a reconditioned jet did not work and once following the other three jets being given new nozzles. No codes have come up since then. The car is in good repair and had a full service in February, there was a problem with the power steering but this was sorted in February. Hopes this proves useful.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Sorry forgot to mention. No dashboard fault lights come up.

The misfiring/juddering only happens when the engine is stone cold for about ten to 15 minutes after the engine has warmed up all is fine until the next time the engine is stone cold.

Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Hello again -

Thank you for your reply.

Ok - with this engine, there is a known / common issue that causes poor / bad cold starting / running - as you describe.

This is to do with the valves in the engine - over time basically they close up - and cause the compression problems - hence when cold, the troubles you describe.

You need to have the camshaft / valve clearances set up to the settings they should be... that should clear / sort this for you.

The settings that they need to be reset to are :
0,40+/-0,05 mm (cold engine).

Any garage can do this for you - its about an hours labour or so.

Let me know if you need anything else -

Kind Rgds - MIKE.

..>>> >> > ...Meantime..............Please do click on the "OK/ Excellent ratings" for me as that's how Im credited for helping you - Thank you in advance for that...

You can and are most welcome to get back to me anytime you might need - clicking the OK ratings does not close you out at all..

Rgds, MIKE.
Mike, Other
Experience: Tech Expert