Robert
Robert, Vauxhall Technician
Experience:  Fully qualified 19+yrs exp/self employed technician in the UK
13210289

1.3cdti timing chain problems

1.3cdti timing chain problems
Category: Vauxhall
Expert:  Robert replied 3 years ago.

Hi..

Hopefully i can help.

How does the engine run at the moment? ie:- have you had any issues through starting etc wither cold or hot even? any particular noises or unusual rattle noises from the timing side? or any warning lamps at any point since ownership? whats it service history like?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

hello Robert - thanks for responding.

I have had the car about a year. The car has been serviced regularly.

No particular noises from the timing side. Idles quietly. Sounds rough under load at lower speeds - kind of tappety with a distinctive diesel sound. I am making a comparison with my son's corsa diesel (same engine and year) which seems quiter and smoother when accelerating under load at low speeds.

The engine management light came on once on a long run. When I stopped and then started the light went off and has not come on again since. That was several months ago.

The only noticeable thing in colder weather is that it takes a couple of goes to get the engine started. The recent warmer weather it has started ok.

Cruises fine on motorways.

That's all I can think of at the moment. It may be that there isn't a problem and I am making an unhelpful comparison with my son's car.

thanks

Graham

Expert:  Robert replied 3 years ago.

Hi..there thanks for your reply and info..

Ok..Alot of times with timing chains on them is due to stretching this obviously has an adverse effect on timing as such which the ecu can tend to pick up with shift in cam crank position or both not running in sync with each other and no doubt cold/hot starting issues and cause diesel knock,it certainly would tie in with all you have said in symptoms so could maybe something to get quotes on,however diesel knock can also relate to missfire on a certain cylinder or injector fault - you may also hear a slight rattle from the timing side since the chain stretches slightly depending how badly stretched it gets..obviously this shouldnt be left ignored as the end result is the chain snapping and the engine internally damaged - deemed unrepairable..They can also have issues with DMF's Duel mass flywheels they can often cause a vibration/rattle/tapping under load if becoming faulty - certainly listen for any rattle coming from clutch area and or any change operating the clutch as such..I do hope this helps..If you need to ask anything else or include anything further then just continue

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

hi again Robert. Noticed that when the clutch is in neutral and foot off the pedal there is a rattling noise even though there seems to be no clutch slip. The noise disappears when the pedal is depressed. Might this point to something that affects performance?

Graham

Expert:  Robert replied 3 years ago.

Hi..there..

Sounds like it could be DMF related..the flywheel is a two pieace item with very strong internal springs to cushion vibration etc..if the internal components/springs wear or damage etc..then you can get a rattle effect heard from the clutch housing -doesnt really effect clutch operation/or cause slipping but general noise from the flywheel itself until of course it gives up totally..usually the best way is to get it up on a ramp and have somebody carefully listen for noise from the clutch bellhousing..if it seems to emit from within there then it will mean gearbox removal to make further checks to the flywheel

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

many thanks Robert - very helpful. Sounds like it is timet to get along to a mechanic to have a listen.

cheers

Graham