vauxdoc
vauxdoc, Other
Experience:  Vauxhall diagnostic technician
10908802

My engine management light is on and the car has gone into

Customer Question

My engine management light is on and the car has gone into limp mode. When I start the car it runs reasonably fine until I engage Drive / Reverse / but in Park or neutral it seems ok. As soon as I engage Drive, the engine idles and then stalls. Please help?

Category: Vauxhall
Expert:  vauxdoc replied 3 years ago.
Welcome to Just Answer. This light comes on when the engine computer (ECU) detects a fault with one of its sensors or circuits.

When this happens it stores a fault code and then uses a back up program sometimes called limp mode, this is used to enable you to carry on with your journey or to enable you to get to a garage.

The fault may be relatively harmless or may lead to a breakdown or damage to the catalytic converter depending on which sensor or circuit is affected.

To be sure you need to take your car to a garage and have it put on a diagnostic computer to have the fault codes read, most good garages have the kit for this not just main dealers, you should phone around for a quote for a diagnostic test.

I hope this helps, best regards, Vauxdoc.