Robert
Robert, Vauxhall Technician
Experience:  Fully qualified 19+yrs exp/self employed technician in the UK
13210289

Hello I have just bought a 2006 1.2 Vauxhall Corsa Design.

Hello I have just bought a 2006 1.2 Vauxhall Corsa Design. But I had a problem with the back brakes seizing. Thankfully the garage I bought it from has a ex-Vauxhall mechanic working for them. This is what he has done: all new cables, new rear shoes, new adjuster's and new drums. As I have been back several time over the last week with the same problem. Toady I have picked the car up after having a new drum fitted to the driver side rear. I have took it for a run of about fifteen miles and the rear drum is really hot and when I jacked it up the wheel won't free wheel very well. Am I being inpatient with bedding the brakes in or do I have a major problem?
Category: Vauxhall
Expert:  Robert replied 3 years ago.

Hi..Sorry to see your question hasnt been picked up as of yet..If you still require assistance? i will try and help you out with this one..

If so..Can you tell me if it just one side this problem occurs on or both sides?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Originally it affected both sides, but since I have had new drums it now only affects the driver side.

Expert:  Robert replied 3 years ago.

Hi..there thanks for your reply..

Ok..if one wheel is binding on - being drum brakes there can be a few things that would cause that.. either the cable is stuck holding that side on partically although seeing you had them replaced then you can rule that out - either the brake cylinder on that side is sticking/faulty..not sure if those where checked out..or the flexi pipe over the rear axle is blocked/collapsed internally and not allow brake fluid to pass back up the line freely enough...or if fitted the load sensing valve could be at fault something to certainly check on..and could certainly cause that kind of fault on both sides..seeing as you have had the shoes/springs/adjusters/cables replaced aswell as the drums itself can really only leave a hydraulic problem on the back as per the items I suggested above..I do hope this helps

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks for your reply will take this information with me to the garage to see if they can sort it.