Robert
Robert, Vauxhall Technician
Experience:  Fully qualified 19+yrs exp/self employed technician in the UK
13210289

Hi, I am replacing handbrake shoes to my 2003 Omega. The disc/drum

Customer Question

Hi, I am replacing handbrake shoes to my 2003 Omega. The disc/drum is free but will not come off. ? held by shoes? Cannot find adjuster to get clearance. What trick am I missing? I would appreciate help. Regards ***** *****
Category: Vauxhall
Expert:  Robert replied 3 years ago.

Hi..

Hopefully i can help..

Asuming you have removed the small torx bolt on the "face of the drum section" its small star shaped torx screw that holds the drum/disc to the hub..then

if the shoes are free and the disc is free..then the next stage is to lightly hammer the rear of the disc whilst rotating until is free's off ,a good heavy hammer will be good for that or rubber mallet..sometimes they get stuck to the point of just needing a bit of persuasion..Sometimes it might be necessary to back the hand brake shoes off. you have to do this by rotating the disc assembly so the drilled hole is at the top,the adjuster wheel has at the top end of the shoes - using a torch look through the hole and you will see a star type toothed adjuster - By poking a flat head screwdriver through the hole you can rotate the adjuster a tooth at time to slacken the shoes off.they can be a pig to see properly aswell as it all feel to fell the toothed adjuster turn .if the adjuster is stuck then the hammer option is about the only way forward..but first ensure you have removed that small securing screw on the face of the drum section of the disc..I do hope this helps