Robert
Robert, Vauxhall Technician
Experience:  Fully qualified 19+yrs exp/self employed technician in the UK
13210289

Hi I just bought a 2007 diesel automatic transmission Vectra,

I just bought a 2007 diesel automatic transmission Vectra, and it sometimes smoke from the exhaust and smell very bad, it stops and start again. Just yesterday, it was more serious and a yellow pre heating sign was flashing for a long time. Please what could be d cause of the smoke? Thanks
Category: Vauxhall
Expert:  Robert replied 3 years ago.

Hi..

Hopefully i can help..

What colour is the smoke exactly?

Any engine performance/running issues when this problem occurs?

What its current mileage and service history?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

D smoke is dark in colour and d mileage is 56900k now. I think the service history is fine according to what I have in d car service book. The car still drive normal while smoking and I am not sure there is abnormal sound. Tks

Expert:  Robert replied 3 years ago.

Hi..there thanks for your reply

If it black then you either have intake/intercooler leak under boosting from the turbo resulting in too much fuel to air being a possibility you should check that first in regards ***** ***** waste gate etc isnt sticking..also check egr function and check for blockages or sticking valve in the egr itself.have you checked condition of airfilter.also check for any intake pipe leaks leading to turbo aswell as intercooler tubes for splits..in all givin situtations such as you have it would best to see what fault codes you have this would entail getting the car on a diagnostic machine that way you can determine exactly what you need to check here according to what faults you get from the ecu..so that really about the best way forward form here..i do hope this helps..if you need to ask anything else then just continue before you rate

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks. But what if d smoke is not dark, what could that possibly mean. This happens on and off.

Expert:  Robert replied 3 years ago.

Hi..there thanks for your reply

If the cars fitted with a DPF..diesel particalate filter..the its possible the problem could be with that hard to say without knowing the fault codes..have you tried added cataclean additive to the fuel tank or any diesel cleaner additive to the fuel tank ie: "forte diesel treatment" and then give it a good long hard blast along a motorway..sometimes that can help givin the the low mileage the dpf could be trying to self regenerate.and thus the smoke..give that option first a try..before which check the oil level and coolant levels and then try the motorway option.and see if that cures the problem..if not then the only next option at this stage is the diagnostic route im afriad..i do hope this helps

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks., really appreciated.

Expert:  Robert replied 3 years ago.
hi..there glad to help..like i say give that a try if the cars seems to run ok..if no then least you know what route to take next..if you need to ask anything then just reply back..dont forget to rate my assistance before you leave much appreciated..