Mike
Mike, Other
Experience:  Tech Expert
9261905

have a 2008 Vauxhall Astra 1.9 diesel its lost power and seems

have a 2008 Vauxhall Astra 1.9 diesel its lost power and seems to have white smoke coming out off engine bay gearbox side, did do diagnostic and code for crankshaft sensor came up, replaced that, car starts now and ticks over but no rev power and this white smoke comes up from around gearbox way.
Category: Vauxhall
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Hello and Welcome ..

My name is ***** ***** Im happy to help you ..

With this issue - the white smoke issue.. this is usually produced due to combustion issues on a diesel - any diesel. Incomplete combustion for whatever reason - the reason to be found.

It can be caused by a crank sensor fault in that that will upset the engine timing - and that is one fault that causes this - one would assume that is cured now though as you say.

So you need to check the engine mechanically now - check its cooling system, see if its losing coolant - any coolant entering the engine will cause white smoke .. You may need to the compressions then depending on the outcome of that as above.

Basically as a rule, white smoke is caused by raw, un-burnt fuel passing into / through the exhaust stream.

Common causes include:

· Incorrect fuel injection timing
· Defective fuel injectors
· Low cylinder compression

So thats the way to work through this one now - Let me know how you go.

If there is anything more you need or would like to discuss - by all means get back to me and we can carry on...

>> Meantime >>>> Please do click on the "OK/ Excellent ratings" for me - Thank you in advance for that...

You can and are most welcome to get back to me anytime you might need - clicking the OK ratings does not close you out at all..

Kind Rgds, MIKE.
Mike, Other
Experience: Tech Expert
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

mike not looked at car yet, have weeks holiday next week so will do it then, will let you know many thanks for e-mail.

Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
HI there Paul -

No problem at all.. I hope all goes well for you -

Best Rgds, MIKE.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

mike I have looked at car cant see anything wrong but got diagnostic plugged in and this is what was in it

P2452 - Particulate Filter Pressure Sensor Pressure not Plausible with Barometric

Pressure

- Permanent

could this course loss of power and white smoke this is filter on exhaust

Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Hi again Paul..

Yes indeed it could -

Usually a new sensor is needed for that fault Paul... I woudl verify it with Vauxhall then go from there but yes you are on the right track there it seems...

Best Rgds, MIKE.