Mike
Mike, Other
Experience:  Tech Expert
9261905

Hi I have a 54 plate astravan with a 1.7 ecotec diesel. I ran

Hi I have a 54 plate astravan with a 1.7 ecotec diesel. I ran low on fuel yesterday the light was flashing, I put in £20 but since then it keeps stopping. It will run for 10-15 mins on tickover less if I rev it. If I leave it for 10 mins it starts again no trouble but dies again. The diesel filter is full & I took the tank breather valve off so that both pipes are open to the air but still stops. Any help gratefully recieved...
Category: Vauxhall
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Hello and Welcome -

My name is***** happy to help / advise you.

When these versions run out of diesel, they can take a time to "come right"... By that I mean, once the fuel that you have added has bled through - and its started the engine - usually after a few miles, any glitches that will be down to air will sort out - as the air passes through and it settles down / sorts out.

If it doesn't - then you usually end up having to have the system manually bled - be that with the electric pumps that the dealers use on these - or a manual one that most independent garages use.. You could use either -its not a big job and they usually charge around a half hour labour to do this job -- much cheaper than getting the bleeder tools yourself etc to be honest -and saves you doing it.

What I would just suggest is check to see that you have no leaks anywhere perhaps as yet undetected - check the fuel filter is ok and not leaking / all tight etc - and then run it as above - it can take 20 / 30 miles or so....and it should settle.. but again, having it bled will usually sort it. It will so long as it hasn't developed any other issues - pump / filter issues etc.. but you need to work through as above to progress on this one.

If there is anything more you need or would like to discuss - by all means get back to me and we can carry on...

>> Meantime >>>> Please do click on the "OK/ Excellent ratings" for me - Thank you in advance for that...

You can and are most welcome to get back to me anytime you might need - clicking the OK ratings does not close you out at all..

Kind Rgds, MIKE.