Mike, Other
Experience:  Tech Expert

Vauxhall vivaro 1.9 wont start. Battery good all ignition

Vauxhall vivaro 1.9 won't start. Battery good all ignition lights come on but no sounds from fuel relay
Category: Vauxhall
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Hello and Welcome..

My name is ***** ***** Im happy to help / advise you -

Can you please give me more info on this... inc background info .. ie, what happened / how it broke down exactly etc ... and exactly whats been done, checked tested and so on.. inc any fault codes you have?? Does the engine spin over on the key etc? If so - is it fast / slow / sluggish etc -- - ?

The more info you can give me, the better I can help you.

Plus - what is the vans mileage ? and year ? ( Full reg will be helpful too -

Rgds, MIKE......................................
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Van has been running normally with no problems at all tried to start no start. Engine turns over as normal not sluggish etc no fault code on dash have checked all fuses All are ok there is no clicking sounds from the relay van is fitted with a hand primer next to the fuel filter
Removed inlet pipe turned ignition no fuel was pushed through van reg is BX04JHK
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Hello again Dave -

Thank you for your reply and further info..

First, I know you mention no clicking sounds - If your dash array is lighting as it should normally, then I wouldn't expect to find any issues on the electrical side - especially as its spinning the engine..

You should get fuel coming up if you disconnect the primer from the filter and pump it..

So try that - Too - ensure the primer is actually pumping - often these hand primer / bulb type primers, the rubber cracks / breaks down and will cause it to suck air -hence a no start situation. If you are not sure - use another device to suck the diesel through. If it now comes through, replace the primer unit and all should be well again.

Of course - ensure there is enough diesel in the tank first - ( ensure no one has "taken" it )...

If its not that as above or it still wont pull fuel up, you need to check the lines Dave as there must be an issue there.

Some of these - not all, the Vivaros' had an in tank pump that would fault... you would need to obtain the vans VIN and ask at the local Vauxhall parts dept to check if yours has an in tank pump ... Before the main pump on the engine, that was a common failure on these...

Now - if for whatever reason you are not progressing as above Dave - then you need to have plug in tests done. I know you say that there are "no fault codes on the dash" - but these dont give a fault code in that way... they have to be tested for that with the plug in equipment. ( I know there is the pedal thing but thats not reliable )

Im assuming your immobiliser light is acting as it should - indicating no issues on that side of things..

Too - the diesel fuel system needs to be checked with equipment - to test for correct pressure / injector faults and so on - you only need one injector to be faulty and will cause the pressure not to build - the Ecu will "see" this and not allow the engine to start. You can only check this properly with the proper equipment Im afraid... If you have a good mobile mechanic with the equipment, that would be an idea as you wouldn't have to tow the van anywhere for testing that way...

But you do come to a point Dave where you simply need to use the proper test equipment to sort such issues on these diesel systems...

So work through as above - by all means let me know how you get on / or if you need anything more at all on this.....

>> Meantime >>>> Please do click on the "OK/ Excellent ratings" for me - Thank you in advance for that...

You can and are most welcome to get back to me anytime you might need - clicking the OK ratings does not close you out at all..

Kind Rgds, MIKE.
Mike, Other
Experience: Tech Expert