Mike
Mike, Other
Experience:  Tech Expert
9261905

i have a 2002 astra 1.8i.the warmer the engine gets the oil

i have a 2002 astra 1.8i.the warmer the engine gets the oil pressure slowly drops down.on idle the oil light flickers.i have put a mechanical gauge on and sure enough oil pressure drops off when warm on idle.ive changed oil and filter and checked pick up pipe.help!
Category: Vauxhall
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.

Mike :

Hello and Welcome..

Mike :

My name is ***** ***** Im happy to help you ...

Mike :

Im afraid with this then - given you have done what you have - and confirmed definate low oil pressure -and dropping as it warms up -then the fault is with the oil pump being excessively worn...

Mike :

As the engine warms up - the oil thins - and so as the pump vanes are worn, the oil "falls" out of the pump and you lose pressure- Or -the other fault that occurs with these is they get a worn "drive"... either way - Im afraid the only answer to this is to renew the oil pump.... but that will cure this issue for you for sure....assuming the engine is otherwise in good condition - ie - no banging big ends etc.

Mike :

Im very pleased to have helped / advised you - ..

** >>>>> Please do click on the "OK/ Excellent ratings" for me - Thank you in advance for that...

You can and are most welcome to get back to me anytime you might need - clicking the OK ratings does not close you out at all..

Kind Rgds, MIKE.