Mike
Mike, Other
Experience:  Tech Expert
9261905

Ive been hearing a scraping noise for the last 6 months intermittently

I've been hearing a scraping noise for the last 6 months intermittently on acceleration especially around 1750 rpm. It also feels like the car slips/hesitates, its only for a second. Sometimes that noise will occur when my foot comes away from the throttle.

Other things I have recently started to hear is a definite rattling sound from the engine bay on starting the engine idling. The rev counter also moves up and down hesitantly when this sound occurs.

Yesterday though I had to take over a slow driver on a downward slope and the car made the scraping sound and suddenly lost power and wouldn't accelerate. The rev counter was about 200o-3000. At the traffic lights I switched the car on and off and the problem went away and continued driving.

I now want to get this sorted but don't want a mechanic to waste my time money fixing the wrong thing.

Is there any obvious thing you would recommend gettting checked.

I been thinking, clutch, fuel pump, turbo hoses etc etc and just also want to go to the right person.
Category: Vauxhall
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.

Mike :

Hello and Welcome - My name is ***** ***** Im happy to help - advise...

Mike :

Can you give me the Full vehicle details - inc its mileage and whether it has service history / recent repairs?

Mike :

Also - do you ever get any fault lights come on when this happens ?

Mike :

As you are not on at the moment - just let me know in here on your rtn - when I get your reply, I will get back to you asap thereafter - Rgds, MIKE..................................

Customer:

Sorry I completely forgot to give the most important info.

Customer:

It's a Vauxhall Insignia, ecoflex diesel 59 plate. Its mileage is 125000 miles, it's had the sensor glow plugs changed and the turbo outlet tube also changed last year as there was an oil leak and this is where it came from. Also had the actuator changed which is found at the front of the engine bay.

Customer:

There haven't been any service light come on

Customer:

Every 2 months the water needs topping up. It was last serviced last November

Customer:

When I say service light, I mean fault light

Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Hello again -

Thank you thats fine... I had to switch us out of chat to the QA system as the chat system wasn't working - I couldn't get back to you there-

Now in your reply to me - there -in the above Im sure lies the clue to your trouble here - you mention water loss.

There is every chance that what you have is the early signs - quite early, of water pump bearing failure - This will cause the water leak albeit slow - and the noise. It gives this noise because its the bearing in the pump going - and as the bearing wears, it causes oscillating and that causes water / coolant to pass out past the seal - hence the coolant loss... So it all appears to tie n - Its extremely hard if not impossible to see a water leak at this stage - it has to be stripped and changed -for a new pump to cure all this.

This can cause the fault light to come on...but to determine that for sure, it will have to have a plug in fault code read done... Any good garage can do this for you - it can be done while the pump is being attended too- it doesn't cost much its not a big job to do the test.... ( you will have to get a price on the pump job I cant say what locale garages charge as they differ all around the Uk of course..)

So thats the way forward on this one now Ravinder - I hope all goes well for you , Im sure it will -

Im very pleased to have helped you -let me know if you need anything more -

** **>>Meantime -- - - >> Please do click on the "OK/ Excellent ratings" for me - Thank you in advance for that...

You can and are most welcome to get back to me anytime you might need - clicking the OK ratings does not close you out at all..

Kind Rgds, MIKE.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Just to confirm, do you think this would have caused the loss in power too?

Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Hello again Ravinder -

Thank you for your reply and rating.

It wont be the water pump causing the loss of power - rather the light coming on.. The light is coming on because the ECU - management computer, is detecting a fault somewhere in the engine management systems... Its impossible to say where without a plug in diagnostic test as above... The loss of power will be either because of the actual fault whatever it is and / or - because when such a fault exists, the Ecu invokes Limp Home mode to protect the systems while the fault exists...

I hope that clarifies for you Ravinder - Sorry if I wasn't clear..

You are welcome back if you ever need anything else on this or future..

Kind Rgds, MIKE.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I got hold of an opcom reader and following codes came up.

Motor type: A20DTH
Part Number:55574903
Software version number: 03503F3B
Hardware manufacturer number: O100036819O100061418
Programming Date: 20130621
Hardware key number: O100036819
System description: BOSCH0100
Variant programming: 0x383641414A4E37303932343330323037
Alpha code: 00
Hardware manufacturer system name: EDC17C19

Total number of fault codes: 10

P039D - <Unknown DTC>
(00) - Not present

P03B1 - <Unknown DTC>
(00) - Not present

P03BB - <Unknown DTC>
(00) - Not present

P03A7 - <Unknown DTC>
(00) - Not present

P039C - <Unknown DTC>
(01) - Not present

P03A3 - <Unknown DTC>
(00) - Not present

P1325 - <Unknown DTC>
(01) - Not present

P1325 - <Unknown DTC>
(03) - Not present

P1325 - <Unknown DTC>
(04) - Not present

P1325 - <Unknown DTC>
(02) - Not present

Any advice?

Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Hello again Ravinder -

There are far too many codes there Ravinder for them to be relevent.

Delete the codes - re run the car - then re run the test - see what you have then. You know then that any codes you then have are current - not historic...

Kind Rgds, MIKE.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Ok so I did what you said,

the code came up as p1325 02 after about 30 mins driving.

The car drives smoother but the code is bothering me.

This code came up last year and the crankshaft sensor was replaced which hadn't helped, it was corrected by changing the sensor glowplugs.

I was wondering if this could be related to the timing belt?

Is it also possible or are you allowed to recommend a ggod mechanic in the middlesex/London area?

What do you think I should do next? Ask a mechanic to change the water pump and check the timing or just let them have a look and let them diagnose based on the fault code.

Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Hello again...

Ok - can you give me the cars Full reg number so that I can double check on that fault code - alongside the correct engine management system ( from the reg number )..

Rgds, MIKE...............................
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

FL59 YJS

Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.

Hello again Ravinder..

The P1325 is a code for the crank sensor Ravinder - you can ignore that - because the Vauxhalls systems always give that code if the engine is not running - ( because its not transmitting when the eng is not running ).... Just an anomaly really - so you are ok there..

Best Rgds, MIKE.