Mike, Other
Experience:  Tech Expert

Can anyone help? I have an astra 1.7 diesel sxi estate 2005.

Can anyone help? I have an astra 1.7 diesel sxi estate 2005. The car starts fine and appears to have no leaks, however, the coolant does not last for very long and the other problem is that when i put my foot on the accelerator the engine management light comes on and then i loose power
Category: Vauxhall
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Hello and Welcome -

My name is ***** ***** Im happy to help ...

Could you please tell me exactly what you have done / tried etc so far... all that you have tried --

When I receive your reply, I will get back to you asap thereafter -

Best Rgds, MIKE..................................

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

oil level is fine and have a new map sensor fitted. The car drives fine in normal conditions and the management light shall stay off until I put my foot down. can not tell you anymore than this

Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Hello again Rod -

Im sorry I could not get back to you earlier -

Ok - apart from the possibilities of a small coolant leak somewhere on the system - I strongly suspect you have a water pump leaking. With that its very hard to see espeically when its a small leak. In any event, the way forward Rod is to have a local type garage do whats called a "pressure test" on the system. This manually raises the pressure on the system to as if you were driving - which is when it loses, and you cannot see it. That way - the leak will be seen wherever it is... and so then can be addressed.

As for the management fault light - this wont have anything to do with the above- you need to have a plug in fault code read done Rod to see what fault codes are stored. There will be fault codes as the light is coming on but the reasons for that could be any one of a hundred...literally.. So you have to have that done - then once you have the fault code- that directs the tech / user to the cause.. and that then can be seen to. You are losing power when the light comes on either because of the actual fault itself, or, because the ecu is putting the engine into Limp Mode.. so you have to have that checked as above - there is no other way Rod on that....

Just going back to the coolant loss - IF no leaks are found, then its possible you have a head / head gasket issue - a slight leak - not water going into the oil - but going into the combustion chamber - that way, it disappears out the exhaust without you even knowing. If this is happening, it could couple up with the cause of the EML coming on - If that is suspected, the garage will do a CO test on the system, and / or a dye test to confirm the issue - then go from there as found...

Without having the equipment yourself, Im afraid you can do very little at home / diy... so thats the way forward to get this sorted for you now Rod..

Im very pleased to have helped you -let me know if you need anything more -

** **>>Meantime -- - - >> Please do click on the "OK/ Excellent ratings" for me - Thank you in advance for that...

You can and are most welcome to get back to me anytime you might need - clicking the OK ratings does not close you out at all..

Kind Rgds, MIKE.

Mike, Other
Experience: Tech Expert