Mike, Other
Experience:  Tech Expert

I have recently had a new 3 piece clutch kit fitted (2 weeks

I have recently had a new 3 piece clutch kit fitted (2 weeks ago) with a local garage however when I try to put the car in reverse it moves forward. I am definitely in reverse gear but it feels like it is in 4th as it rumbles as if about to stool when I push off. After waiting 5-10 mins the car seems to work as normal but then reverts back to moving forward when in reverse!
It’s a Vauxhall Astra 1.4 2006 – 80,000 miles if that helps
Category: Vauxhall
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Hello and Welcome..

My name is ***** ***** happy to help / advise..

For this to be happening they have to have reconnected the selectors incorrectly - or, you have worn bushings / selector unit allowing the selectors to mis select on occasion.

There have been several TSbs from Vauxhall about this issue - Technical service bulletins -

But - what I suggest is initially have them disconnect the linkage regardless of what they may say - and then inspect the various parts of the linkage for wear / worn or failed bushings as above - not always obvious - best to disconnect and check... and then renew as found to be necessary.

Too- on these the selector unit itself sometimes needs to be replaced due to improper selection of gears - It may have been ok while you had it in use - but with stripping it etc the issue can come to light - the selector unit is replaced as a whole ....If they ring and speak to the local Vauxhall parts dept - they will confirm the actual part that is needed to cure this for you.

Im very pleased to have helped you -let me know if you need anything more -

** ** >>Meantime -- - - >> Please do click on the "OK/ Excellent ratings" for me - Thank you in advance for that...

You can and are most welcome to get back to me anytime you might need - clicking the OK ratings does not close you out at all..

Kind Rgds, MIKE.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Mike,

All the other gears seem to engage perfectly fine and smooth, it seems to mis select only on a few occasions, - would it most likely be the worn/failed bushings in your opinion? if it was the garage reconnecting the selectors incorrectly wouldn't this be happening all the time?

At a guess how much would i be looking at for replacing worn bushes / selector unit? Should the garage have been aware of this when they fitted my clutch?

Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Hi there Jon..

Thank you for your reply and further info..

Yes thats what Im thinking really - unless it was loose and moved position - so its more likely to be the worn selectors really - it needs checking as I say but I do suspect that yes...

Now Im really not sure on prices Jon - not least because labour charges differ around the country - so you would have to get a quote - but for the parts - you are very often a lot cheaper getting them ( and any Vauxhall parts! ) from this company HERE... you could get the parts and have them fitted locally - that would be cheaper for you.

As to whether the garage should have been aware - in all honesty and fairness - I would say not Im afraid... its just "one of those things" as they say - the sort of thing that happens to all of us ! ;(

I hope that helps you further Jon - Im sure you will get it sorted as above..

.....Please do click on the OK ratings for me at this point Jon.. Thank You .. and you are welcome back anytime at all..

Best Rgds, MIKE.

Mike, Other
Experience: Tech Expert