Mike
Mike, Other
Experience:  Tech Expert
9261905

Hello: I have an Insignia SRi turbo 4x4, 67K miles, 59 reg,

Hello: I have an Insignia SRi turbo 4x4, 67K miles, 59 reg, been perfect all this time. After a long run towing yesterday on restart the engine has a distinct vibration and a ticking noise in the head area to the front of the engine. Still goes well but almost as if something is slightly out of balance. Shows particularly after 2500 rpm. During the tow the engine oil low signal came on. I stopped and filled with 3/4 litre of correct oil. Rest of journey as perfect running as ever before, then this has started about 2 hours after the tow had finished.
The ticking noise is like a tappet.
Turning the engine off is not a 'clean' as usual.
hope you can help, it is a great reliable car. Full VSH from new.Oil change at 60K.
Category: Vauxhall
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Hello and Welcome..

My name is ***** ***** happy to help / advise you --

Can you tell me - is this a manual or auto transmission?

Please also give me its Full reg -

Then we can progress -

Kind Rgds, MIKE....................................

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you Mike.

Reg is OY 59 ZTJ, 6 speed manual box.

Started it up this morning, NO tapping noise.

Checked the oil level on dip-stick, right on the max level (all 'dimples' on the end wet with oil. I rotate the dipstick two turns before pulling it out.

Car has the general vibration from approx 3K rpm.

Took it to the dealer who has serviced it several times and went for a ride to demo the vibration. He said there was one and had no idea of the problem...

Car drives as usual in touring and sport mode, all dash lights are clear.

It is as if the exhaust is on the chassis and the vibration can be felt in the wheel, the foot well etc as well as heard. Engine lower mounts all look sound.

Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Hello again Graham -

Thank you - your extra info confirms my thoughts as to your fault on this -and espeically so as its a manual transmission.. I suspect that you have a flywheel fault Graham -

Not all have the same type of flywheel Graham but I suspect form what you have outlined, that this is your fault - you will need to ask the gorge to physically check this for you to progress. Let me know how you get on and if you need anything else, Im happy to help.

Im very pleased to have helped you - Do let me know if you need anything more --

*** Meantime - - >>>> Please do click on the "OK/ Excellent ratings" for me - Thank you in advance for that...

You can and are most welcome to get back to me anytime you might need - clicking the OK ratings does not close you out at all..

Kind Rgds, MIKE.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Maybe my SRi has the DMF?

The clutch action has never been smooth with a decernable 'bounce' when changing to 2nd from 1st under acceleration.

today no noises just that vibration.

Now thinking of getting a Skoda Superb.

Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
;) The Skoda Superb is actually not at all a bad vehicle - I know several people with them - one a Fire Chief has one --and swears by them... !

The vibration you describe in that area would make me think its the Dmf issue so it certainly does need checking out for sure..

It would also add up with the switching off issue you mentioned- ie, feels like its not a clean switch off- That adds up too .. it throws the balance of the engine thats why..

Best Rgds, MIKE.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you Mike.

Looks like I've bought a Skoda Superb Tour de France special edition. Drives 'superbly' as the joke must go. Nice drive, smooth as can be and will tow my racing car a treat (as the Insignia has done for 4 years). Will be sad to see the SRi go, it has been fault-free all my ownership until this episode, but i must have a dependable regular road car.

Back to an oil burner, but this Skoda is SO quiet, untrue, smooth torque and goes well when you put your foot down. Not as fast as the SRi, but I'll get used to the relaxed pace.

I can see the SRi starting to cost me and the car is worth just £5500 so soon good money after bad.

Regards, and i thank you for the details on the vibration, it all stacks-up.

Graham.

Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
HI there Graham..

Well that all sounds good - Im sure you will be happy with the Skoda- after all - Vw / Audi mechanics etc... you cant go wrong with them these days you know... nothing like the old / yesteryear models...

So Im glad to have helped overall - thank you for letting me know too..

You know where I am if there is ever anything else..

All the best -- MIKE.