Mike, Other
Experience:  Tech Expert

I have a Vauxhall Corsa Active 03 reg. which has an amber warning

I have a Vauxhall Corsa Active 03 reg. which has an amber warning light showing - looks like an engine - what could be the problem? So far, I have had the plugs and some sort of casing cleaned (£60) light went off for only two days! then the spark plugs and coil replaced (£152), the light came back on after four days! lambda sensor replaced (free of charge) but light came back on the next day! another lambda sensor put on as the garage said the first one was faulty (£87). That was last Friday and the light came back on again yesterday, again four days later!
Category: Vauxhall
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Helo and Welcome.

My name is ***** *****

These models have different lights - please describe the light you have exactly-

Too - please tell me if you have any current fault codes - what they are...

Also - I need the FULL reg number..

Plus - what is the mileage ?

What is the service history like - ? When was the engine last serviced in time / mileage?

Rgds, MIKE..........................................
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Haven't been able to answer before now as your response came after I had left for a week away. The light showing is the one shaped like an engine immediately below the oil warning light on the left of the instrument panel which, according to the owner's manual, is the emission control indicator. Full reg no: JLZ 6785 ; mileage: 400426; service dates: 16/05/05 mileage 7884; 04/04/07 mileage 16873; 04/04/09 no mileage given; 16/03/10 mileage 24793; 10/04/14 mileage 37565. I hope this is sufficient information - and the light is still on!

Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Hello again Jacquie..

Thank you for your reply - thats fine.. no problem... though its a little odd - as as you can see above, I replied to you with the Info request just 2 hours after your question was posted... Anyway , no matter -

Now with this situation you have - you have evidently spent a lot on the car - and it would appear that the garage doing it is struggling somewhat - it does appear that there has been a fair amount of guess work going on -at your expense to a large degree..

In view of the above - you need a clear and precise way forward -and this is it..

What you need to do is have a fault code test done... I would think this has been done already - but there is no mention at all of any fault codes above... No garage should replace any parts such as you have had without proper fault code diagnosis at least...

So that is the first / next step now - and I really would suggest to use a different garage at this stage - perhaps one recommended by friends etc if you can...

There will be fault codes in the cars Ecu / computer as that light is on... once properly retrieved and deciphered, the garage will know what circuit is giving you these troubles... A lot has been ruled out already - I would expect that what will be found given the components that have been replaced, that there wil be wiring / earth and / or connection problems.... but again - the fault code check is the next step.

The machine will tell the garage where to be looking ... if they say "its this component.."... one that you had replaced - then tell them - ( and it being a new looking component , it should be obvious to them ) - tell them that the fault then has to be in that components circuit - not the component itself.
You can let me know when you get the fault codes if at all needed and I can help more - but really that shouldn't be necessary - but Im happy to if needed... but that is the way to progress with this now..

Im very pleased to have helped you - Do let me know if you need anything more --

*** Meantime - - >>>> Please do click on the "OK/ Excellent ratings" for me - Thank you in advance for that...

You can and are most welcome to get back to me anytime you might need - clicking the OK ratings does not close you out at all..

Kind Rgds, MIKE.
Mike, Other
Experience: Tech Expert