vauxdoc
vauxdoc, Other
Experience:  Vauxhall diagnostic technician
10908802

hi I a problem with my Vauxhall Astra. it is a 56 plate 1.6

hi I a problem with my Vauxhall Astra. it is a 56 plate 1.6 twin port sxi. when removing the key from the ignition the door alarm sounds, radio and interior light stays on and the central locking doesn't work. its as though the ignition barrel thinks the key is still in. so I have no way of locking my car. I've tried taking the battery off to reset it but this does not work. have you heard of this problem before and do you know how much it would cost to repair. thank you for your time.
dougie.
Category: Vauxhall
Expert:  vauxdoc replied 3 years ago.
Welcome to Just Answer, Yes I have heard of this, it is fairly common, there is a small plunger switch at the bottom of the ignition barrel called the "key in switch" and is designed to prevent locking your keys in the car and to switch the accessories like the radio off.

The barrel can be removed by keeping the key in and turn the key to position 1 then at the top of the barrel there is a small hole and if a pin is inserted the barrel will click out, you will then see a white plunger pin in the centre which can usually be unstuck with the aid of WD40, if this does not work a new housing will be required.

I hope this helps, best regards, Vauxdoc.