vauxdoc
vauxdoc, Other
Experience:  Vauxhall diagnostic technician
10908802

I have a 2010 2.0 cdti Astra . Whilst driving yesterday a management

I have a 2010 2.0 cdti Astra . Whilst driving yesterday a management warning light appeared ( car with a spanner in it) and a message saying service vehicle soon. The car has very little power, particularly at lower speeds. It was last serviced in Dec 2013. Up until now it has been running very well. Any help would be appreciated.
Category: Vauxhall
Expert:  vauxdoc replied 2 years ago.
Welcome to Just Answer. This light comes on when the engine computer (ECU) detects a fault with one of its sensors or circuits.

When this happens it stores a fault code and then uses a back up program sometimes called limp mode, this is used to enable you to carry on with your journey or to enable you to get to a garage.

The fault may be relatively harmless or may lead to a breakdown or damage to the catalytic converter depending on which sensor or circuit is affected.

The most common cause on the Astra 2.0 CDTi is a nearly full DPF (diesel particulate filter) this happens if the vehicle has been doing lots of short journeys, a good run keeping the revs above 3500 can blow it clean.

To be sure you need to take your car to a garage and have it put on a diagnostic computer to have the fault codes read, most good garages have the kit for this not just main dealers, you should phone around for a quote for a diagnostic test.

I hope this helps, best regards, Vauxdoc.