vauxdoc
vauxdoc, Other
Experience:  Vauxhall diagnostic technician
10908802

my astra 1.6 model j ,,after approx.8mins. driving comes up

my astra 1.6 model j ,,after approx.8mins. driving comes up with a message on screen saying "service vehicle soon" and the cooling fan comes on the temp is sitting at half way and there is no coolant loss, the vehicle was mot'd and serviced within the last month by my local "100miles away" dealer the only parts to have been replaced recently are the coil pack and spark plugs, this was done to rectify a misfire in the engine. the vehicle is 2010 with 31000 miles on the clock
Category: Vauxhall
Expert:  vauxdoc replied 2 years ago.
Welcome to Just answer, As the SVS light is coming on along with the cooling fans then I am fairly sure that the thermostat has faulted.

The thermostat on the A16XER engine is an electronicly controlled device which receives varied voltages from the engine control unit(ECU) and opens and closes depending not just on temperature but on engine load.

This is a common failure on this engine and the thermostat can fail open or closed so you need to have the car tested to see if the ECU has a failure code in for the thermostat circuit and if so have the thermostat replaced A.S.A.P.

I hope this helps, best regards, Vauxdoc.