vauxdoc
vauxdoc, Other
Experience:  Vauxhall diagnostic technician
10908802
Vauxhall

Power Steering packed up on 55 Astra Van 1.7 CDTI .Anything

to check before major work... Show More
to check before major work in removing pump. Ive checked the fuses in the glove compartment,drivers side
Category: Vauxhall
Show Less
replied 3 years ago.
Welcome to Just answer, the most common cause of PAS failure on the 1.7 Astra is a charging failure due to a faulty alternator.

The PAS is electrically driven and only works when the unit sees a charge voltage from the alternator, check the battery voltage at engine off it should be 12 volts, then start the engine and the charge should go up to around 13-14.8 volts, if the voltage does not rise then the alternator will need replacing, as I say this is a common fault.

I hope this helps, best regards, Vauxdoc.