Mike
Mike, Other
Experience:  Tech Expert
9261905

Hi I have a Vectra sxi 02 plate 1800, there is a whining noise

I have a Vectra sxi 02 plate 1800, there is a whining noise on acceleration that disappears when you take your foot off the accelerator, push in the clutch, or put the car in neutral. No whining at idle.
What could be the problem?
Category: Vauxhall
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Hello and Welcome..

My name is ***** ***** Im happy to help you..

With this issue as you describe - with the fact that it disappears on idle - or push the clutch in -this can indicate an air ingress fault / leak... when you alter the engine speed as you describe doing as you do, especially when the revs are raised, it causes higher vacuum in the engine - and hence sucks more air.

So - check very carefully, the various air / vacuum pipes on the engine - inc the brake servo piping - and, check the engine breather system for blocking..

Generally you should find the cause and be able to cure it as above in this case.

If its not as above - an air issue - then its likely to be one of the rotating pulleys - driven by the belts on the engine. A good idea is to use a screwdriver as a stethoscope - raise the engine revs to when it does it - place the screwdriver on the various pulleys - and inc the alternator - as a suspect.. and if the noise is accentuated through the tool -in your ear, you know you have found the cause.
If you dont find it as above - then you would need to remove the timing belt cover to check the rotating pulleys / water pump in there.

One way or the other as above then you will find and cure this issue for sure.

Im very pleased to have helped you - Do let me know if you need anything more --

*** Meanwhile - - >>>> Please do click on the "OK/ Excellent ratings" for me - Thank you in advance for that...

You can and are most welcome to get back to me anytime you might need - clicking the OK ratings does not close you out at all..

Kind Rgds, MIKE.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
The whining is not present when the car is stationary and you rev the engine, that is why I discounted the engine and the pulleys etc. points more to the gearbox/ transmission
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Hello again Chris..

Thank you for your reply -

In that case...with that further / deeper insight, when revving the engine stood, I would tend to agree... I wasn't fully aware of that and obviously I cant test it...

If it is that the whining is indeed as you describe it - a whine more than say a squeal... ( I know its hard to determine sometimes )..then yes - its more likely to be transmission.

If it disappears when you press the clutch only - then its unlikely to be the clutch release bearing / clutch - its more likely to be the diff...if its in every / any gear... If its only in certain gears , then its that gear trains' bearings individually... so thats how to determine it..

Sorry for any misunderstanding.

--- Best Rgds, MIKE.

......... Please do click on the "OK ratings" for me at this point , Thank you .. and you know where I am if you need anything after -