Nathan B
Nathan B, Nvq3 motor mechanic
Experience:  Over 20 years experience including running my own garage working on a wide range of vehicles.
27720961

My vauxhall corsa 1.3 diesel has started to cough & splutter

Customer Question

My vauxhall corsa 1.3 diesel has started to cough & splutter . It's starts fine & runs ok for a couple of hours but then if I turn engine off for about 30 mins when I turn back on it coughs & sputters for about 5-10 mins The garage can't find anything wrong . They've plugged it in to computer but no codes are coming up .
Category: Vauxhall
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 3 years ago.
I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.
I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Professionals.
Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I would like to continue with question . I don't mind waiting a bit longer.
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Hello and Welcome -

My name is ***** ***** Im happy to help..

Can you first please tell me the reg number of the car -

Also - do you get any fault lights on at all when its doing this?

Too - when was the engine etc last serviced?

Also - is this like a definate misfire - or a general lack of power?

Rgds, MIKE.................................
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
The reg no is LS11 LAO it was serviced a couple of months ago. No warning lights are showing when this happens & there is no loss of power. I do a lot of miles & it's fine until I stop. Then when I get back in car after about half an hour it coughs & splutters.
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Hello again -

Thank you for your reply - unfortunately I missed it on the day then I was off over the weekend so my apologies for that -

Thank you too for the info - that is helpful ..I have just noted in the vehicle info there is no mileage - can I just ask you for the mileage -

Too - when it plays up as you describe - does it emit any excess smoke from the exhaust - and if so, what colour?

And - can you "drive through" the loss of power - or how does it clear ?

Rgds, MIKE......................................
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
The mileage is 114000. It doesn't emit any smoke & it clears after a couple of mins driving. There is no loss of power. Since your last response I have taken to a different garage & they cannot find anything wrong. The only thing they can come up with is crankshaft sensor but obviously I don't want to replace if they're not sure.