Robert
Robert, Vauxhall Technician
Experience:  Fully qualified 19+yrs exp/self employed technician in the UK
13210289

My wife drives a1.7cdti Astra 05 and recently it started cutting

Customer Question

My wife drives a1.7cdti Astra 05 and recently it started cutting out on r/bouts, junctions even driving at 30mph.It doesn't start straight away sometimes takes an hour other times in a short while.Runs fine.But there is always car/spanner light displayed.Sometimes it is not lit.What could be the problem.(There is a slight oil leak on the cam belt side of the engine)
Category: Vauxhall
Expert:  Robert replied 2 years ago.

Hi..there..

Ok..the oil leak as you have spotted..that could be something to look into

id say...there are from i recall 2 sensor that maybe cuasing this but without proper diagnoses in regards ***** ***** codes then you basically stabbing in the dark..the two sensor i mention both the crank and camshaft sensors maybe faulty..the ecu relys on these to see what position the engines in timing wise to deliver fuel etc..so if at any point one of the these sensor becomes faulty or become and open circuit the engine cuts out and most common occurs when slowing down,junctions.hard starting etc sometimes the sensor can overheat due to the nature of the fault with the sensor..this cause as above an open circuit until the sensor cools down and the circuits reconnected until the same thing occurs again..so these two would be checked on..the crank sensor should be under the starter motor and held with a single bolt into the engine block..the camshaft sensor should be located on the timing cover front..just to the left of the oil fill cap..single bolt again..and check that..the other issue that comes to mind is the fuel flow control valve which is basically located on the diesel pump..again that should throw up a fault code if thats the case and can be replaced without a new pump needed..other things in regards ***** ***** delivery pressure/faulty fuel filter if all the above comes back as ok would be the next step..But as it stands now..if that car/spanner light is on at the moment..then the best advice before buying anything of the above is to get the car diagnostically scanned and see what faults codes you have or your ecu is storing..that way you'll know for sure what has to be checked here..bear in mind that some handheld scanners wont work on some diesels unless after 2005 roughly..so you need to find someone with either a good high end scanner like tech2 or even - laptop based software in regards to "opcom/vauxcom based with the 16pin plug" to see what codes you have..I do hope this helps..if you require to ask anything further then please do so before you rate

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Many Thanks, ***** ***** look into this,

Kind regards,

GVirdee

Expert:  Robert replied 2 years ago.

Hi..there thanks for your responce..

No problem..like i say your best step really is find out what codes you have to be able to move forward on this one..Also please dont forget to rate my assistance above most appreciated..if you have anything else to ask then just continue after this post if required..regards Robert