Robert, Vauxhall Technician
Experience:  Fully qualified 19+yrs exp/self employed technician in the UK

my reverse light does not work on my vauxhall corsa s reg the

Customer Question

my reverse light does not work on my vauxhall corsa s reg the bulb is ok where would i find the switch that works it
Category: Vauxhall
Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.

Hopefully i can help..

On the Corsa B the reverse light switch itself is on the gearbox - the switch faces the front of the car - so it will be on the side of the gearbox that faces towards the radiator..if you look under the clutch lever on the gearbox that you cable conects too "at that age id imagine it will be a cable clutch"..look under the lever you see a small wire loom leading the switch..disconnect it from the switch..the plug off the switch bridge the pins inside the plug "not the switch" with either a small wire or paper clip..turn the ignition on..if the reverse lights are on..then you have faulty can get these from pretty much anywhere that sells car parts/motor need an open end/ring spanner to start it off to undo..and screw the old switch out..then the new one is screwed in till it reasonably tight..reconnect the plug and that should that and test the reverse lights again..bear in mind though you may loose a bit of gearbox oil during the swap over of switches - so its pretty much a case of swapping the to new as quickly as possible to plug the hole and to get the new one started and screwed avoid to much loss..make sure you have drain pan under the car ready to catch any in case..I do hope this helps..if you require to ask anything further then please continue before you rate

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Robert

Thank you. Youranswer was very good and I will be giving an excellent rating regardless. I have just one more question if you don't mind. I have been told by the RAC that my lambda sensor needs to be changed I intend to do this myself but I have been informed by a garage that if I change the sensor my engine management warning light will come on and stay on. I don't believe this, I have sent off on the Internet for a new lambda sensor and intend to fit it myself will I have any problems with the engine management light which at the moment is not on? (It comes on occasionally then turns itself off for most of the time) The garage says it will come on and I will have to pay them (or someone) to switch it off? Also any advice on how to get to the lambda sensor , and get it off , would be greatly appreciated . I know where it is and I can see it but I do not want to spend the extra £15 it will cost for a lambda sensor spanner , or to have to remove lots of other stuff in order to get to it . Have you got any tips for what I can use other than the specialist spanner

Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.

In regards ***** ***** engine light..that will only come on if the ecu detects a fault - id imagine based on the RAC's findings as you say the sensor is at fault hence why the EML comes up,normally what i do is clear all codes from the ecu and the retest drive the car and then re scan to see if the same fault codes comes back,if not then it could be an old problem or intermittent....Have you checked the wiring for issues from the sensor back to ensure the connector isnt loose.disconnect it and check the pins are clean,and then reconnect it,Just in case - If your replacing the lambda sensor with a new one..then once its fitted then the EML shouldnt come back on when you turn the ignition nor when driving the car..unless the new one is faulty of course.or you have another problem all together..if as per the same sensor then id check for exhaust leaks before and after that sensor.....

To remove the sensor..isnt going to be easy..they do tend to get seized quite a bit due to constant changes in temp from cold to hot etc...the best way to remove is normally on a warmish exhaust or if you have access to a blow torch to heat around the threads/nut section of the lambda sensor till its reasonably hot/near cherry red..and then proceed to need to be careful or anything around the area when using a blow torch aswell as when the sensors out you dont handle it as it will be extremely hot..unless wearing suitable thick gloves........

If you don't want to go down the heat route then make sure you soak the sensor where it screws in with lots of wd-40......

You can get specialised lambda sensor sockets..i use these alot where possible - they have cut out down the side to accommadate the could of course use a ring spanner if you disconnect the wiring plug end and feed the wiring through the ring spanner till you reach the sensor itself and undo it that way..and open end i wouldnt advise on as it could slip..Or if you have the new one there - cut the wiring off the top of the OLD sensor..get a long deep reach socket that fits and undo it that way with your extention & ratchet - fitting the new one will be done by hand and then use a ring or open end of the spanner to tighten up/ reconnect the sensor back up by its plug..and that should be the engine and monitor for any exhaust gases leaking......

If the EML is might not need a scanner to put the light out..Just disconnect the battery negative terminal and leave off for about 30minutes and then reconnect..that should wipe the fault memory...before which ensure you do have your radio code first incase...I do hope this helps further..If you require to ask anything further then please do so before you rate

Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.
Hi..there..Just wondered if required any further help..? If not and nothing further required - then please dont forget to rate..very much appreciated..Regards Rob
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Dear *****,

Your advise has been excellent. Everything has been as you described and has gone very well. Thankyou. I won't forget and I will definitely be leaving an EXCELLENT rating.

I would like to ask you one last question unconnected to mechanics. I have been conversing with other experts on your site who have other professions.

Could you please tell me whether you (when I say you , I actually mean the other experts I have been talking to) have access to:

my name ? (username or real name)

My email address ?

The name on the card that I have used ?

The number or anything else on the card ?

In fact could you tell me what exactly what personal information of mine comes up at your end as I would like to know what information these other advisors have about me. I would like to know what level of privacy and anonymity I have had whilst I have been talking to them. Thanking you in advance.

Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.

Thats no problem..glad you managed to get your car's problems sorted out - but should you need to ask anything else related..then just look me up on here and i be happy to help....But yes your rating would be much appreciated..

As per details..You personal details should not be listed anywhere on the what you write in each post..if you put personal details/phone numbers etc up then me/us as experts on the site,when we see your question or replies can send a message if not already noticed by the mod's on the site to have it deleted...But as the site goes its totally secure as per private details..all i see is your user name- and what me and you have spoken about in regards ***** ***** car .

But theres certainly no way I can access any ones personal stuff/like cards/address you have put into your own account - Even my self cant include or give out my garage buisness address,phone numbers or my last name or my personal details..But if you have questions regarding that then im sure the customer service side of the site should put you mind at ease....