Robert, Vauxhall Technician
Experience:  Fully qualified 19+yrs exp/self employed technician in the UK

helloI have a leak in the coolant tank that I fill up every

Customer Question

I have a leak in the coolant tank that I fill up every other day
Category: Vauxhall
Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.

Hopefully i can help..

What Model / Engine / Year of Vauxhall do you have?

I note you say you have leak? do you know where roughly this occurs under the car or on the engine? or is it actually leaking or overflowing from the expenasion tank itself?

Have you had overheating issues with the car?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Vauxhall zafira. 2.0 diesel 56 reg see no leak...or no overflowing. But coolest level goes done an inch. No overheating issues. No leaks I can see under car. No overflow in engine. Put cap securely and also replaced it...still coolant goes down

Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.

Hi..there thanks for your reply..

Ok..normally with any sort of coolant loss there arent too many places coolant can be lost..either there is a leaks externally / or a leak internally / evaporating due to faulty cap which isnt really common for these caps to do that.the systems self bleeding so air pockets shouldnt be and issue.. If its a leak externally then depending on the nature of the leak wether it crops up under engine hot conditions when housing expand or under normal cold sometimes can be spotted on the ground or leaves a powder residue of the antifreeze around areas of the coolant system where the leaks exiting certainly have re-check/trace the coolant circuit,pipe work or housings,radiator for evidence of that....the best course of action really is to have the system artificially apply pressure to the cooling system using a special coolant system pressure tester/guage in place of the expansion/radiator cap..once the system is pressurized as per the psi stated on the cap then they can go around the whole coolant system looking for the leak if there is will also tell you wehter the system is indeed loosing pressure or that would be something to maybe have done here..However if your car is fitted with Automatic gearbox..these cars have a cooler radiator which is part of the main radiator and can be known to fail and cause coolant to travel into the gearbox via its oil cooler lines potentially damaging the gearbox as above there are few checks and test to carry out..also dont forget to check within the footwells incase the heater matrix is leaking..I do hope this helps...if you require to ask anything further then please continue before you rate

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

My car us a manual. There is nothing under the engine or near the coolant tank.

are you saying that the heater inside the car could also be linked. The heater in the car is not very good. And doesn't really gave full power.... is that linked toooo

if so how can I check.

I don't want to keep going to car garage to get them to check as it costly and from messages on Internet it appears even after the checks garages still normally have no answer.... please give me details instructions on how I can check the heater issue if it's related....

or how I can check internal leak. The engine has a proper cover.... should I somehow look at that. I have had it checks and I do not think that the coolant tank or pipes are at fault otherwise in the service they would have found out... especially since I asked them to check the coolant issue....

Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.

The heater system has a heater matrix

that has feed and return coolant note them leading through the see the pipes in the car you need to remove the sections of the lower dash/glove box etc..normally if a matrix is leaking into the car you would have damp or wet footwells..or steam/condenstation building up on the windows mostly at the front of the car...As far as furhter checks goes and cost..well that depends on the garage your using and wether their upto the job of checking..a general look wont cut it..they need to carefully check the complete coolant system,circuit for leaks or wet area or as as above residue,built up in areas left behind by the antifreeze leaking out and drying....To check for an internal need a pressure guage as suggested above to see if the pressure drops or not..if it does then you have leak...check you engine engine oil level if it above the mark or theres presense of cream sludge on the stick or within the oil filler cap then you "may" have issue with the headgasket,again a compression test on each cylinder using a compression test guage would be used....Another senario could be you dont have an issue at sometimes the level will drop after use and return back to the normal level when the engines cold..ensure you do check level at a cold engine always..and never add fluid when the engines hot....You only need to remove the engine cover not the cam cover to check for leaks...Have you asked for a complete coolant drain of the system,flush out and new coolant added..that might be another option..when new coolant is added or the system is worked on ensure that the heater is always set to hot to help bleed out the air...