vauxdoc
vauxdoc, Other
Experience:  Vauxhall diagnostic technician
10908802

I have a 60 plate Insignia Elite sport tourer and the powered

I have a 60 plate Insignia Elite sport tourer and the powered tailgate opens fully but then suddenly closes halfway, opens fully again and then shuts completely. It does the same when the interior tailgate switch is set at 3/4 opening. The tailgate will not stay up in the open position when the power tailgate switch is off.
Paul
Category: Vauxhall
Expert:  vauxdoc replied 2 years ago.
Welcome to Just Answer Paul,

I have seen this fault before and is usually due to a weak gas strut on the N/S (left) of the boot.

The power strut is the fat one on the O/S which opens the tailgate and uses the gas strut on the N/S to hold it up and when it fails the tailgate jumps up and down.

Luckily this is the cheap strut and is quite easy to replace after removing the 2 metal clips, you will need someone to hold the tailgate up when you remove it.

I hope this helps, best regards, Vauxdoc.