Robert
Robert, Vauxhall Technician
Experience:  Fully qualified 19+yrs exp/self employed technician in the UK
13210289

When in traffic on sat the power steering failed on my 2010

When in traffic on sat the power steering failed on my 2010 corsa sxi failed, the dash indicator came on and the steering was so stiff. I stopped the car switched off the ignition then switched it back on again and it works fine now, is it safe to drive ? Rebecca
Category: Vauxhall
Expert:  Robert replied 2 years ago.

Hi..

Hopefully i can help..

These steering systems are quite common for issues like you have descibed..the steering itself is totally electric assisted, there's a motor at the base of the column/eps control unit..normally the problem lies within the torque/angle sensor which is part of the column itself...the problem you describe being intermittent is usually the first stages of failure until the steering becomes stiff/warning light come up on the dash..in which a diagnostic machine/tech2,3 to interogate the steering ecu to see what codes you have..but normally the remedy is reconditioning of the column you have or reconditioned replacement..in which after installation has to be recalibrated or the steering angle sensor has to...but in the mean time it should be fine..the only problem is you can never tell when complete and if failure will happen.all that will happen is the stiff steering but nothing else...but certainly have the charging system checked out as the electronic steering does rely heavily on that working properly so that has to be ticked off....but as above very common problem with these steering columns im afraid...I do hope this helps