vauxdoc
vauxdoc, Other
Experience:  Vauxhall diagnostic technician
10908802

Hi I have a corsa 1.3CDTI 2006 diesel. It is difficult to start

Hi I have a corsa 1.3CDTI 2006 diesel. It is difficult to start when cold but runs fine after starting .The engine management light comes on shortly after driving but once the car is warmed up this doesnt happen.I had the glowplugs replaced last week and an oil change.The garage mentioned the timing chain was a bit noisy.It seems to have been a problem after the car overheated when a heater hose burst- could this be the root of the problem? The head gasket seems fine as the oil and water levels remain constant. Its worse starting the colder it gets and i expect a flat battery soon :(
Category: Vauxhall
Expert:  vauxdoc replied 2 years ago.
Hello, what mileage is on your Corsa?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

the mileage is 160,000

Expert:  vauxdoc replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for that,

Stretched timing chains on the Z13DT engines are the most common cause of poor cold starting.

What happens is that the chains oil tensioner drains oil overnight and in effect the valve timing goes out a bit, it eventually fills back up when cranking then starts up, then it will start all day until rested overnight and the same happens again.

This normally happens at about 75,000 miles and with your high mileage and the fact that it is noisy make it number one suspect.

You should have it replaced as they do snap sometimes causing major damage, the job should take around 3-4 hours, special timing tools are needed for this.

I hope this helps, best regards, Vauxdoc.