Robert
Robert, Vauxhall Technician
Experience:  Fully qualified 19+yrs exp/self employed technician in the UK
13210289

I have a Vauxhall Astra 1.6 Life engine z16xer, is has just

I have a Vauxhall Astra 1.6 Life engine z16xer, is has just done 40K, when should I get the timing belt changed, I have read online it is 100K/10year
Category: Vauxhall
Expert:  Robert replied 2 years ago.

Hi..

Hopefully i can help..

Yes thats official recommended interval for that engine at or nearing 100,000miles/10year...Normally i wouldnt advise to leave it that long to be honest..60,000miles 6years which ever comes first would much more acceptable and alot of people do actually opt to do it a little earlier than risk leaving that long..this ensures that you never risk the belt/or one of the pulleys the belt drives/runs over failing within that long space of time..it has to be the full kit during replacement inc the water pump too..so as above that would be the best advise id say but it totally optional if you prefer to leave it to 100,000miles or not..I do hope this helps