Robert
Robert, Vauxhall Technician
Experience:  Fully qualified 19+yrs exp/self employed technician in the UK
13210289

just had cylinder head chande runs ok but got a small

Customer Question

mis accelerating at speed a sensor light is showing the oil light comes on when running gos of when accelerating checkt dip stick it shows plenty oil
s
Category: Vauxhall
Expert:  Robert replied 2 years ago.

Hi..there..

What engine / model / year of Vauxhall do you have?

Reason for the cylinder head replacement?

Was the issues you have now an issue before you had the head done?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Its a 1200 engine, corsa club, 2008, petrol

Had it for 3 weeks and the cylinder gasket blew.

It was running perfect for the 3 weeks i had it.

I put it in a garage and he told me that the head was skimmed, he also put a new water pump and a new timming belt.

After i got it fixed i drove it for about 3 miles then the exhaust emission light came on and stayed on, its running ok but its like theres a miss at speed. The oil light came on, i put oil in it and it went off but a week later it has came on again, when i rev engine it goes off. I have checked dip stick and there is plenty oil in it.

Expert:  Robert replied 2 years ago.

Hi..there..

A few things i must mention.. the Corsa D , 1.2 petrol is a 3 cylinder engine - and is run by a timing chain.. not a timing belt so he's wrong on that part... head skimmed? only reason you would skim a cylinder head is if it was warped,but of course you have to leave that in the hands of specialist machine shop to do that but does involve complete strip down of the head and rebuilding of the head as far as valves go - normally its best all round to source a secondhand head to be honest...but normally warped head is due to excesssive overheating which i asume lead to the headgasket failure,which in turn can cause exhaust gases in the expansion tank/cross contamination of oil and coolant/white dense smoke/missfiring..but obviously the cause for that has to be addressed - whether it be due to a fault on the coolant system or some other fault on the engine...... the oil light is a concern though and the fact you do say it goes off when the engine is revved could mean the oil pump is fault..a proper oil pressure test needs to be carried out to see if thats the case or not,they need a pressure guage fitted in place of the oil pressure sender switch and compare with manufacturer specs..if its is then it means the timing cover having to come off again/sump/chain etc to replace that...but first they need to ensure the pick up in the sump is clear.... the exhaust emssions light..again id suggest getting on a diagnostic machine and see what faults codes are logged,that way we'll have better chance as to finding out whats going on and whether this issue is due to the work carried out..it could well be bad coil/sparkplug or possible timing fault..or even something the garage as failed to refit back...to me as the best advise id retrun it back to garage concerned and have them look over this again.explain the issue..they obviously need to re-step their work to ensure everything is back in place/plug wise etc and do as above as further inspection to be able to get any further forward...... I note to you mention having to top the oil up..if your having to do that then the garage hasnt made sure the level was correct before letting the car go..again oil leaks around the timing cover/in the coolant or anywhere on the engine has to be checked for..in conjunction with or during the oil pressure test..I do hope this helps..if you require to ask anything further then please continue before you rate