Mike
Mike, Other
Experience:  Tech Expert
9261905

i have a vauxhall corsa cdti van 53 plate have a engine

hi i have a vauxhall corsa cdti van 53 plate have a engine management light popped up &soon as u start it it coughs out blue smoke coughes & splutters for first ten minutes then seems fine mileage is 56.000
Category: Vauxhall
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Hello and Welcome -

My name is***** happy to help -

Can you first please tell me - have you had the fault codes read as the EML is on? If so, what are the codes you have retrieved - ?

Please also give me the vehicles' Full reg number -

Rgds, MIKE.......................................
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

no have had not had it had a garage yet just bought it off a friend he said it coughs a lot latelty as he hasnt ran it for a few weeks he said mangement lights been on for 6 months but always ran well . cough & splutter when first started then was fine .....

but since now its been stood for a few weeks it coughs & takes a good ten minutes to sort it sen out . with blue smoke upon cold start

but once stopped for half hour and restarted it will cough again & splutter

registration :GL53ZVW

Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Hello again Kevin -

Thank you for your info there.

With this - the simplest / quickest way forward is first to check over the fuel system piping / filter for any leaks etc - any bad pipes / connections and so on.. Anything like this will cause / can cause what you describe.. the same to for the electrical connections to the various devices / sensors - especially the air flow meter.. and check carefully the pipework to / from that too - check for any perished signs - loose clamps etc...

Again - anything like the above will cause what you have... so do check all that first before spending ant money - and correct any faults you may find... then see how it is.

If you don't find anything amiss - if its not had service items done of late - replace the fuel filter and check / replace the air filter... again then see how it is... that may well be it.

If though you still have the same issues - then its time for a plug in diagnostic / fault code read - because that will tell you with where the fault lies... likely the reason the light has been on all this time has got worse - not causing symptoms ..

At this stage I would imagine it will be found to be a faulty MAF - air flow meter - but thats the cost effective way to progress / work through this one Kevin to get this fixed for you..

Let me know if you need anything else at all.. If you do get back to me, I will get back to you asap thereafter.

Meantime , please do now at this point, click on the "Excellent ratings" for me... I really appreciate that and Thank you....

Kind Rgds, MIKE..
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

checked all pipes connecters etc everything connected no leaks . first start in morning coughs smokes then sorts its sen out then left half hour then start up coughs smoke out & splutters runs mint after ten minutes no spluttering on start off at roundabout etc , next stage is fuel filter . are they easy to fit ?

thanks mike this is a massive help your help

Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Hi again Kevin -

Apologies that I could only just get back to you -

Ok yes I think thats a good move - renew the fuel filter. You can see looking at it that its easy to change = the difficulty comes in bleeding it after. You should be able to just crank it till it starts - but you may find you have to fit a manual bleed pump to get all the air out if it refuses to start...

I would also suggest - do search on google and get yourself a bottle of Forte Diesel system cleaner - and out that in the tank per its instructions. You may be having sticking injector pintles - when cold this can happen and cause what you have... it will take time in miles for that to work through so give it time... but yes - thats the next step before any diagnostics I would say..

Best Rgds, MIKE.

Let me know if you need anything else.