Robert
Robert, Vauxhall Technician
Experience:  Fully qualified 19+yrs exp/self employed technician in the UK
13210289

Rattle on start up but then seems to go, various people have

Rattle on start up but then seems to go, various people have said valve lifters or timing chain, It's a 2005 corsa design 1.2 twinport on 70000 miles, Who could i get to check this? and also a rough idea of the cost please, i am based Morfen Surrey
Category: Vauxhall
Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.

Hi..there..

Has the oil level been checked? when was its last oil / filter change?

When its upto temp do you hear the rattling still at all?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Major service, all oils and filters etc 200 miles ago, check oil daily, no i don't hear it rattling when warm, it seems to disappear almost straight away

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Oil level checked every time i use car, filters and oil changed app 200 miles ago on major service.

Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.

Hi..there..

Normally with T-chain faults you do actually hear it when it upto to temperature too or in the backgorund if you listen carefully on the timing side..they may also be able to measure the deflection of the chain between the two cam sprockets to see if out of spec as with what the manufacturer sees acceptable deflection on the chain..any well equipped/garage with the proper info should be able to check that..or even through vauxhall themselves on the specs...however the 1.2 "3 cyl" engine is unknow for t chain faults and can sometimes cause starting issues too... from your description id say it most likely the lifters at fault or one or two..and normally the best way of dealing with that is to replace the whole lot/lifters,tappet/followers as a set.they also have to prime the lifters with oil before fitment.which is proper way than just fitting them in there an then -so long as your garage that does this job knows that..as for cost it greatly depends on the garage hourly rate to be honest - book time would be 2 to 3 hours roughly to replace those plus the cost of the set to fit in roughly £150 approx but does inc the fitting costs/vat etc.. best really to phone around for the best quote or maybe try this website www.goodgaragescheme.co.uk

Robert, Vauxhall Technician
Experience: Fully qualified 19+yrs exp/self employed technician in the UK
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for your help, the problem is finding a decent trustworthy garage to carry out any work, maybe i'll try vauxhall

Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.

Hi..there..

Vauxhall will be costly to be honest..but i would recommend you check this website first for anyone locally registered with this website below...

www.goodgaragescheme.co.uk

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks will do, will try Fawngrove garage, sutton common rd, local to me, on the good garage list.