vauxdoc
vauxdoc, Other
Experience:  Vauxhall diagnostic technician
10908802

My astra 1700 diesel estate has just started cutting out with

Customer Question

my astra 1700 diesel estate has just started cutting out with a loss of power shortly after starting up. The orange light comes on ...then the car can only be driven slowly. If I switch the engine off and re start it starts fine and sometimes then drives ok, but it sometimes happens again, Seems to be ok once engine has warmed up. Also have just noticed there is no water in the cooling system bottle..........now replenished ! No evidence of a water leak, even when engine is running a temp. May be the two problems are linked ?
Category: Vauxhall
Expert:  vauxdoc replied 2 years ago.
Welcome to Just Answer,
The orange engine management light comes on when the engine computer (ECU) detects a fault with one of its sensors or circuits.
When this happens it stores a fault code and then uses a back up program sometimes called limp mode, this is used to enable you to carry on with your journey or to enable you to get to a garage.
To be sure you need to take your car to a garage and have it put on a diagnostic computer to have the fault codes read, most good garages have the kit for this not just main dealers, you should phone around for a quote for a diagnostic test.
The coolant may have leaked very slowly over time externaly but keep an eye on it as it may be leaking internaly through the head gasket.
I hope this helps, best regards,Customer