Mike, Other
Experience:  Tech Expert

My Vauxhall insignia (09) has a problem with the air con panel

My Vauxhall insignia (09) has a problem with the air con panel completely cutting out. This only ever happens when the outside temp is hot, or car is sat in sunshine. Also, on occasions after a long drive and the engine being off for 10 mins or so, it will cut out on restarting engine.
Category: Vauxhall
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 1 year ago.
I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.
I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Professionals.
Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I haven't had any reply so yes I would like to wait for an answer.
Thank you for getting back to me and apologies that you have not received an answer yet. We have a range of Professionals online all the time. However specialties differ, and we are searching for the right professional to assist you.
Should you wish to close your question and reverse your charges at any time please let me know.
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Hello and Welcome -
My name is ***** ***** Im happy to help / advise.. Sorry to see you have had a wait.
Before we progress - can you please give me the cars FULL reg number -
Rgds, MIKE.......................
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
J777 APL
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Hello again -
Thank you for that .
With that I was able to check the vehicle systems specific to your vehicle - and also for any "known" issues but there are non listed.
You mention you have the problem of both the air con panel cutting out - and the engine - only when hot.
Now - these two instances may or may not be connected... the common denominator between the two being control modules and wiring - back to the battery.. but the two systems are not otherwise linked.
So for this to be happening - to look for a link at all - you need to be checking / looking at the MAIN wiring on the car.. this includes the POS and NEG circuits... starting at the battery.
Check the actual battery connections - and the cables going into the connectors.. You can get problems there with simple loose or corroded connections that will cause a common issue like this.
After that you need to be checking / tracing the wiring through - again - start at the battery - follow first the POS circuit- from there to the multi connectors by the battery back through to the alternator and the start motor - then further up through to the interior fuse / relay boxes. You then need to check the actual connections to the fuse boxes - on the back of the fuse boxes where they terminate... inc checking integrity of the relay/ fuse connections. Obviously if you find any issues along the way then they need to be attended to.
Similar goes for the NEG circuit - starting at the battery - and follow the cable to the body - then the cable from the body to the engine / transmission.. This is the MAIN earth circuit on the car - any faults here will cause what you have.
Now - if you don't find any faults or issues as above-- you are going to be into using diagnostics to find the faults... not least because there will be no connection between the two faults as ruled out above. Then you are looking for module faults ( or just possibly bad wiring connection to individual components -inc the back of the AC panel ).. that should be checked too.
If bad connections are ruled out, you have computer faults or sensor faults likely as not- You are now into determining / tracing faults on the two systems separately- ie, AC.. and Engine management. Individual connections to the various components should be carried out for any faults - its time consuming but can save money on garage time / labour. Again, any such faults that may be found, loose / bad / corroded connectors / chaffed wiring etc should be fixed and systems re tried. Faults are often found like this... With the engine running - wiggle the various connectors / wiring in the engine bay - if the engine falters- you have found your faulty cause / circuit. The same applies really to the AC panel - but to do this - you would need to strip it.
If no faults are found - then again, diagnostics will be needed. A money saving tip here is that you don't have to use any Vauxhall dealer - most smaller type garages have excellent diag equipment these days - as good as OE equipment - and charge a fraction of dealer prices.
There does come a point where you do need the diag equipment to locate faults--so thats the way forward if you do come to that get this fixed.
Im sorry there is no "it will be this / that " answer to your specific issues.. There are no known faults on this model in these you are on a fault finding mission peculiar to your car Im afraid.. but - that is as above, the way forward to sort these issues for you.
Let me know how you go..and / or let me know if you need anything further on this..
---- Meantime - Please do click on the Exc / Ok rating for me at this time.. "Thank you" in advance for that .
.. Note that you can get back to me anytime at all after doing the rating - it doesn't close you out --
Best Rgds, MIKE.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks mike, there is no problem with engine, that doesn't cut out, just the air con panel, no lights, power or anything
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Hi again..
Thank you for your reply.
Sorry I misread on the engine.. I can see what you are saying now on a re read.
Apart from the checks with the engine & its management then, the same work through checks apply... just not as much for you to go at ;)
This particualr model has excellent diagnostic capabilities I'll just mention - when plugged in to a suitable diagnostic machine - but do just bear in mind, if you ask a non dealer to check for you - sometimes they will do engine / transmission checks if thats all their equipment has software capabilities for - so just mention it to them - that their equipment needs to be able to check the AC system as be sure you don't waste time or money if it comes to that. Just a tip there really knowing what some garages can be like.
But again - the manual checks of the wiring / connections - especially on the AC circuit - relays / fuses and as / if needed still, wires to the back panel need to be checked out - as Vauxhall do and always have had such issues with wiring components.
Im sure you will get this sorted one way or the other as above..all the very best with it.. again, let me know how you get on.
-- Can I just ask you to click on the OK ratings for me at this point - Thank you again...
Best Rgds, MIKE.
Mike, Other
Experience: Tech Expert
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry for keep getting back to you! Will I need to call for a diagnostic whilst the ac has cut out to get a diagnosis or could it be picked up when seemingly running fine? Cheers, Adam.
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Hi there..
No problem at all -
The system module does - in theory ( and should ! ) store fault codes - so that if tested as you say while working, fault codes should be there - but its truly not an exact science.. in that they should as I say store them - they don't always.. so it is best to get it tested when not working - if possible.. or .. asap after- in that often they will store codes for a period of time - at least.. if you understand me. Im just trying to be honest with you - these are the problems we face with modern electronics!
Let me know how you get on..
Best Rgds - MIKE..
--- Thank you to for doing the rating - I appreciate that.