Mike
Mike, Other
Experience:  Tech Expert
9261905

The alarm keeps going off on my 2008 Vauxhall Antara SE diesel

The alarm keeps going off on my 2008 Vauxhall Antara SE diesel 4x4. When I disarm it the horn goes three times. Is there anything I can do, or does it need an auto electrician?
Category: Vauxhall
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Hello and Welcome.
My name is ***** ***** Im happy to help / advise.
With this issue, it is invariably caused by dead or dying internal Nicads ( rechargeable ) batteries in the alarm control unit / siren.
Vauxhall sell these as a complete replaceable unit - you just unplug / unfasten the old - and fit the new and thats that.
Or - if you are handy with a soldering iron, you can remove the old one - purchase a set of compatible Nicads from the likes of Maplin -or suchlike.. and fit those - either way cures that issue.
You could have a Vauxhall dealer run a plug in diagnostic to confirm this issue but given its age, its very very likely - a common issue with these systems.
Let me know how you go..and / or let me know if you need anything further on this..
-~~~ Meantime ----- Please do click on the Exc / Ok ratings for me at this time.. - Thank you in advance for that -
... Note that you can get back to me anytime at all after doing the rating should you need more at all - it doesn't close you out --
Best Rgds, MIKE.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks Mike, that's really helpful - Ian

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Do you also know where this unit is as pretty good with a soldering iron! Regards, Ian

Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Hi there Ian -
Thank you for your reply -
Now, Im struggling to recall its exact location to be honest Ian - its either under the bonnet - or under one of the front wings - normally.
Best way is to set it off to locate it.. Im sorry Im a little vague there! BUt if I can help further, I will.
Best Rgds, MIKE.
***
“I’m glad to have responded successfully to the trust you placed in JustAnswer. I would be very proud to have your opinion shown publicly as a sign of good service to other customers.
To give your opinion, just visit the link below:
https://uk.trustpilot.com/review/justanswer.co.uk
Thank you very much.”
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

That's fine Mike, So its located in the siren then - should be able to find that easy enough. Only had the car a few weeks so still learning about it.

Thanks again,

Regards, Ian

Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Ah yes sorry - the batteries are inside the siren unit yes.. Just another point then Ian as you have only just had the car - I should have asked.. is this only happening when you double lock it?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

No - its whether its locked or unlocked

Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Oh right ok- it was just that the interior ultrasonic sensors would set the alarm off sometimes on these if the car was locked then quickly double locked - the advice was to leave the double locking for 30 secs+ to stop this happening.. quircky little thing ! I just thought Id mention just in case ..All the best with it then Ian - Rgds, MIKE.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks for that Mike - will also give it a go - Ian

Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Your'e very welcome..
Best Rgds, MIKE.