Mike
Mike, Other
Experience:  Tech Expert
9261905

Astra VXR 2.0 Turbo 56 plate Mk 5. 99000 miles. Smelling a

Customer Question

Astra VXR 2.0 Turbo 56 plate Mk 5. 99000 miles. Smelling a bit of petrol when driving and smokes a bit on stand still.
Category: Vauxhall
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Hello and Welcome -My name is ***** ***** happy to help / advise.Before we progress - can you tell me its mileage..Too - what is its service history like?Does it run ok - or is it running roughly?Do you get any fault lights on at all ?Is the smell that of raw fuel - or fumes ?Is it high on MPG?Too - I see you have had it looked at - what possibly is the mechanic giving as to a reason for that work?Last - please give me its full reg number.Rgds, MIKE.......................................
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Mike,

Thank you for your reply. I had a phone call from the garage last night that it was just the ecu and he'd fixed it, £130 plus vat, and said it was all good now. I literally drove to kettering and back and it packed in completely and sprayed oil which I now believe has reached the turbo and that is ruined. Its done 99000 nearly has always drove lovely, its completely standard.No fault lights and Id say more petrol fumes? Full service history. The original problem started couple of weeks ago but it drove ok just the smell and smoke at stand still. My friend found out that mk5 vxr's had problems with oil caps not closing properly and 3 clicks more could have solved it. I am as sure as I can be that since he mended it, and it wasnt and turbo could now be ruined, that he is liable. But my car is outside my house now undriveable. My reg is AY56 ZTR Thanks Ryan

Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Hi again.. Thank you for your reply and further info..All of this - with what you have outlined above does add up somewhat now..It could have been an issue with the ecu - it would have been handy if he'd said exactly what but all things considered - the smell of fuel - and the results you have now - it would appear that you had an over fueling situation. As to the initial cause - again, a fault with the ecu controlling the fueling could have occurred, though that is rare to be honest - its usually different causes - ie, a faulty injector..or more than one.. a faulty fuel pressure regulator..etc. Either way it looks as though what has now resulted was from over fueling - to explain.. over fueling will cause excess fuel being injected into the engine bores - what can't be burned is flooded down the exhaust -and into the engine past the piston rings. Then you get the oil in the sump being diluted by the fuel - and the oil level, mixed with the excess fuel, rises... eventually it will because of its high level, be sucked up by the turbo - and basically, short conclusion, you have your ruination of the engine / turbo etc as affected...all the while, you were smelling the fumes.So that as above is a common fault / issue when this happens... and I believe sadly this is whats happened with yours.As you say the garage guy may be liable- but proving it will be difficult - It would seem evident that he either didn't fix it all -in that mis diagnosis led to the ecu when it wasn't the fault... or, that he did fix a fault there but that wasn't the whole fault.. and / or he missed the fact that the engine was flooded with oil / fuel mix.To be honest - I cannot really see how he would have "fixed" a fault with the Ecu.. Ecu's are specialised and needs special equipment to test / see what the fault is / fix them... I know of no garages in the UK that have such equipment...garages have to send Ecu's off to such specilaists for test / repair.. so it would be interesting to know exactly what he claims was done to "fix" an ecu fault..But that all aside - that is what I see has happened.. its now a case of where you go from here... re fixing it etc..Let me know how you go..and / or let me know if you need anything further on this..~>>~~>>~ Meanwhile now - Please do click on the "Exc / Ok rating" for me at this time.. "Thank you" in advance for that ... Note that you can get back to me anytime at all after doing the rating - it doesn't close you out -- Best Rgds, MIKE
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Mike,

Thank you for your brilliantly detailed reply. I will rate fully for you. But yes I would like to know how it can be fixed, will it be very expensive job in which case it might be better to get another car. Or as its such a good car is it worth fixing. Im not an engine man, so have no idea what will need to be done to fix it. Thanks Ryan

Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Hello again Ryan - Thank you for you reply.In this situation, it depends on the extent of the damage.. ie, is it just the turbo, or has the whole suffered damage.. Too.. the initial problem would have to be found for sure.. For example, if you just fitted a replacement engine... you would need to be sure that if it was an ecu fault - that was cured for sure - lest it would happen again.If the fault was on the engine though - ie, injector/s.. fuel system fault ( on the engine ).. then so long as those were changed at the same time, you would cover it.. Either way its not going to be cheap though - I can't give you prices as prices differ around the country -and from garage to garage - The cheapest option would be to obtain and fit a s/h engine complete ... so as to cover all on engine issues as above - that rules all out bar the ecu... out of a good written off car..so you know the engine etc is good.. and get a local garage to price the job for you - then you know what prices you are looking at to enable you to weigh up a repair against another car option..I hope that helps you further - Best Rgds, MIKE.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks Mike, I kind of understand but would you be able to put it in more laman terms for me. I will happily rate and pay for you to do that. As I want it clear in my head before I speak to the mechanic. Also what is a s/h engine complete. Thanks Ryan

Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
HI there Ryan.Ive read what you replied with - Please bear with me - I have to break of for a couple of hours or so.. I will get back to you later this eve and just go through it again for you...Rgds, MIKE
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Lol second hand engine, I was very tired yesterday. If I fit second hand one, any engine problems gone, except if fault with ecu. If I change engine, or get it fixed properly will it affect value of car? I know my engine is the Z20LER. Thanks Mike much appreciated. Ryan

Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Hi again Ryan,.. My sincere aplogies.. Im afraid I was taken ill and so have been off since literally I spoke to you last and now.. so I am sorry about that - I wasn't ignoring you !Yes indeed - 2nd hand engine is what I meant there.. Where are you up to Ryan - do you need anything else on this?Rgds - MIKE..