Mike
Mike, Other
Experience:  Tech Expert
9261905

Mike, i left the ignition on in my vivaro and the battery

Hi Mike, i left the ignition on in my vivaro and the battery went flat so i got my jump leads and tried to jump start it from my car but the van would not start. i went and put a new battery in as the old one was not holding the charge for long, the engine is turning over but it still refuses to start and the drivers electric window won"t go up, any suggestions ?  i also checked all the fuses

Category: Vauxhall
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Hello and Welcome - This is MIKE..What year is the van - and what engine exactly does it have?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

it is a 2007 2.0 cdti

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Hi again - Thank you for that .Have you had a fault code check done at all?Too- have you checked for any diesel fuel leak / issues... plenty of diesel in the tank? ( not stolen / drained )...And have you / your mech removed the pipes to check for fuel coming through etc---?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

there is fuel in the van and there is no fuel leaks ! but i have not had a code check done which was mentioned !

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Ok yes... a fault code scan can be the answer here.. but before that...check all the wiring on the van - under the bonnet and in the fuse / relay boxes for any corrosion... Check especially the earth points and the main earth connections ( follow down from the battery )... Check also the wiring behind the left side headlamp.. there you often get corrosion thatg affects the fuel wiring - earth points / connections in there.If that is all ok - the next thing would be to remove the fuel filter and check for fuel being pumped - Some of these have an intank pump as well as the on engine pump - but I cant say with yours , its right on a year change - you would need to check that with the local GM garage if it should come to that -
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
If you dont find the fault as above - remove the battery cables again from the battery - then ( keys out of the van ) connect the bat lead terminals together - link with a wire - and leave like that for one hour..
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
the undo them and reconnect to the battery -and re try it. This re boots the computers on the van - just in case the deadening battery corrupted them..
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
That would sort the window issue too if thats whats caused it... If not- then I suspect you have developed a wiring issue - thats causing all of this.Do be sure ALL the wires have been reconnected to the battery..
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
If none of the above helps - then the next thing is to have it diagnostically tested Im afraid - you are then at that point... If you have breakdown cover - they have the equipment to do basic tests...
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Let me know how you go..and / or let me know if you need anything further on this..~>>~~>>~ Meanwhile now - Please do click on the "Exc / Ok rating" for me at this time.. "Thank you" in advance for that ... Note that you can get back to me anytime at all after doing the rating - it doesn't close you out -- Best Rgds, MIKE