Robert
Robert, Vauxhall Technician
Experience:  Fully qualified 19+yrs exp/self employed technician in the UK
13210289

Robert i have water in auto-box on 2005 astra it still travels

hi Robert i have water in auto-box on 2005 astra it still travels ok. i intend to ask local garage to renew the radiator and flush &replenish g/box oil. do you think it will be ok. as i say the car is driving all ok at the moment. thanks.
Category: Vauxhall
Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.
Hi..there..
In all honesty if you want to hopefully save your gearbox - it would be in your best intrests to get this problem resolved as soon as you can..or if left for long enough you could land your self a bill for another gearbox..due to the high volume of coolant/water in the transmission fluid isnt doing the transmission/valve block any good - Normally its down to cooler side which is tied in with the main Coolant radiator has caused coolant to leak into the gearbox.you'll note two hoses a supply and a return coming from the gearbox and lead to the radiator - this was pretty common or quite well known for type of fault to occure and led to recalls at that time...there was a feild remedy which you may off already but i can include it below..
Field Remedy: 1650
Subject: AF17/22/23/33 Automatic transmission - Water,No driving torque because of cooling water in transmission oil
Models: Engines: Option:
Vectra-C ,Signum ,Astra-H ,Zafira-B
Z22SE| Z32SE| Y22DTR,Z22YH| Z32SE| Y22DTR,Z18XE| Z18XER,Z18XER| Z22YH AF17/22/23/33 Transmission
Complaint: Loss of the transmission functionality in isolated cases. The following symptoms may occur occasionally: - failure codes P0700, P0715 or P0720 set - slight loss of cooling water - sediments in coolant expansion tank
Cause: Improper function of the sealring at the oil cooler conncetion. This can cause the penetration of a little quantity of cooling fluid into transmission oil.
Production: An improved oil cooler/radiator has been introduced in production as of VIN W0L0ZCF3541042598 (Rüsselsheim) and VIN W0L0ZCF6848035197 (Ellesmereport), W0L0AHM758G044472 (Gleiwitz),W0L0AHL4888033469 (Ellesmere Port), W0L0AHL4882063387 (Bochum), W0L0AHL6785041253 (Antwerpen).
Remedy:
In case of customer complaint rework vehicles as discribed in Customer Satisfaction Program 06-R-016 respectively 09-R-015, Vectra-C, Signum - Radiator and Special Policy Program 06-P-017, Vectra-C, Signum - Transmission Ventilation Hose. For AF17/22 technical rework 09-R-015 (Circulation Number SL-21/2009) Additionally it is essential to perform the following actions: - clean oil cooler hoses by compressed air - flush oil cooler with approx. 200 ml ATF - coolant to be checked (e.g. ATF in coolant expansion tank) and to be replaced if necessary
But as it stands and as you'll already of gather through search..its not really an uncommon issue on that car aswell as the Vec C and other models...Just a case of getting ontop of the fault before its costs even more to rectify the issue..so as above waht you suggested doing would be the best way forward..I do hope this helps
Robert, Vauxhall Technician
Experience: Fully qualified 19+yrs exp/self employed technician in the UK