markthebooler
markthebooler, Technician
Experience:  Qualified City & Guilds
69494627

Car wont start just clicks battery fully charged interior

Customer Question

car wont start just clicks battery fully charged interior lights on but when you turn the main lights the interior lights go out checked all connections the car is an astra 1,6 sxi can you please help
Category: Vauxhall
Expert:  markthebooler replied 2 years ago.
Hello, My name is ***** ***** I will try help you with this.This does sound like a flat battery. I know you said it is fully charged,but have you had the battery tested.The first thing to do is try using a set of jump leads an another vehicleto see if that makes a difference.If it doesn't, then next check would be to look at the earth lead connections from the batteryto the chassis and engine connections.
If these are ok, then next thing is to check for a voltage drop at the starter motor. An excessive drop will cause this fault.You would then need to check for damaged or corroded wiring to the starter connection.If the connections are ok, then next step would be to see if the engine will bump start with a push or a tow. If it does, then most likely you need to replace the starter motor.Mark
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

hi mark i have checked the earth connections unable to jump start but had a look at the starter and it looks ok and im getting12.6 volts to the starter iv tried to put it in gear and push it back and forth still only getting a rivet sound im at a loss

phil