Mike, Other
Experience:  Tech Expert

I own a 56 regd. Vauxhall Vectra 1.8 petrol, its only allegedly

Hi, I own a 56 regd. Vauxhall Vectra 1.8 petrol, its only allegedly done about 40k miles. It has suddenly developed a very prominent tapping noise from the engine. If you increase the revs when stationary to about 3000rpm or more or when driving and the revs are increased the noise goes away. The oil and filter has been changed and the sump taken off and cleaned but the noise is still the same. I'm thinking the problem is something to do with the vvti system but am not sure where to look. Thanks, Dave
Category: Vauxhall
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Hello and Welcome...My name is ***** ***** likely to be honest is a stuck / sticking or worn tappet/s ... this is common with this engine.I would suggest to have an oil pressure test done first though - both cold and hot and see what you are getting. If its dropping to low, that will cause this - as a result of the low pressure. That then would be a failing / worn oil pump - which again is not uncommon - This can happen at any mileage so its worth checking that first then go from there with the results of that ..Let me know how you go..and / or let me know if you need anything further on this..~>>~~>>~ Meanwhile now - Please do click on the "Exc / Ok rating" for me at this time.. "Thank you" in advance for that ... Note that you can get back to me anytime at all after doing the rating - it doesn't close you out -- Best Rgds, MIKE
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The oil pressure has been checked and its 80lb at tick over which I assume is ok. Is it not likely to be a variable valve timing issue?
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Hello again - Thank you for your reply.In answer to what you mention - yes it could be - it could be anything mechanical in the engine thats capable of causing such a noise - What I have done is mentioned to you the most likely - I could run through a list but you need to start with the most likely to check.If you are ok with the oil pressure ( you didnt mention you had checked that )... then the next thing to do is to remove the top rocker cover and carefully check the cam lobes for signs of wear.. then go from there with what you find...again, they are so common for this ( and the lifters / tappets ) that you must check.What you can also is use a mech stethoscope ( or long screwdriver for same ) and listen to the top of the engine - and the rest to see / check for pronounced noise - that is a good way to narrow it down.Also - be sure you are using the correct grade of oil - to thick oil and it wont get up to the lifters as it needs too.. Any car parts supplier will tell you the exact grade you need using the cars reg number - a 0/30 0 / 40 is good for it but they will tell you for sure.-- Working as above you should find whats causing this. Again, yes it could be as you say but you have to work through / check the most likely first.--I do just need to ask you to please click on the "Ok / Exc ratings" for me now at this point Glenn as thats how justanswer credit me for helping you .. Thank you sincerely ***** ***** that..Best Rgds. MIKE..and again you are welcome back anytime at all.....
Mike, Other
Experience: Tech Expert