cumminsdr
cumminsdr, Mechanic
Experience:  All types of Cummins applications
28984014

I wonder if you can shed some light on my astravan pressurising

Customer Question

Hello I wonder if you can shed some light on my astravan pressurising cooling system problem.first of all is there a one way valve on the top up bottle outlet into engine because tube runs from bottle to a y branch on left hand side of engine attached to hose direct on to water pump and bottom radiator hose.so what's happening is when engine is hot and under load ie revving bottle fills back up through top up hose with it being so close to pump outlet?
Category: Vauxhall
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 1 year ago.
I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.
I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Professionals.
Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?
Expert:  cumminsdr replied 1 year ago.
The rad cap may not be venting properly or This is a sign that the head gasket may be failing and allowing combustion gas into the cooling system from a failed gasket. To confirm this you need to buy a combustion gas in cooling system detection kit. This can be bought at any parts store and if it comes back positive the repair is to replace the head gasket and inspect the components removed.