Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

I have a corsa 3 cyl 2005 that starts on the button then stops,

Customer Question

I have a corsa 3 cyl 2005 that starts on the button then stops, It will start every time but will only run for a few seconds. The spanner/thru car light does not come on at all and I have been told if this light does not come on the engine will not start. My customer has spent over £800 on a new ecu,second hand clocks and an abs ecu to no avail. It is at this stage that I have been asked to have a look. Can someone please help as the owner wants to scrap the car.
Category: Vauxhall
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 1 year ago.
I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.
I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Professionals.
Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Shantal, If one of your experts can solve this problem then I will be happy to wait. But If I do not get the answer I need what happens then?
Thank you for your reply, Best regards ***** *****
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.
hello Gary this sounds like a lack of fuel and could be a lack of fuel pressure from the electrical pump at the tank. If the connections to the pump are corroded or damaged then the pump could stop at any time or could not be running at full speed. Check that its relay switches in and out and the relay contacts are clean and bright – replace the relay if in any doubt and do the same for the fuse,Ideally measure the pressure at the inljectors and if this is low check the pump as described and also consider changing the fuel filter as if this partially blocked this too will reduce pressure.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Matt, thanks for the thought but we have tried all connections,relays and fuses.The pump actually works fine.My question was How do I get that fault light back on before we try to start the car.
Regards ***** *****
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.
Hello don't worry about the spanner light coming on as thats just a bulb testif it comes on and stays on then there's a logged fault with the ECUas with a running engine you should have no lightsfor an engine to start and then stop then its either:a lack of fuel pressurea lack of ECU power - being switched offa sensor issue not providing data if you think the fuel pressure is OK ( I'd still say to measure it for preference) then check that the ECU power isn't been cut off by measuring for 12V on the ECU fuse when the engine cuts outIf this is OK then try disconnecting the MAF sensor on the intake to force it to use other sensors if it stays running then replace MAF after checking the wiring for damage and shorts
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.
do you still need help?
Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. so if my answers have been helpful please rate my answer.