Ross
Ross, Diagnostic and repair technician
Experience:  Licensed diagnostic and repair technician
70583916

I have a 2001 Vauxhall astra 1.6 petrol and the emergency cooling

Customer Question

I have a 2001 Vauxhall astra 1.6 petrol and the emergency cooling light has come on the temperature gauge is not working both fans are running that is air con fan and cooling fan I have checked all fuses ,replaced temperature gauge sensor and the engine is running perfectly dose not overheat and no water loss
Category: Vauxhall
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 1 year ago.
I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.
I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Professionals.
Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

yes I still need assistance so if you could help me I would be grateful thank you. IAN

Expert:  Ross replied 1 year ago.
Hi my name is***** am a diagnostic technician and look forward to working with you.Apologies for the delay in getting to your question.The warning light will come on when a fault is detected in any part of the cooling or A/C system. This causes both cooling fans to run constantly as a fail safe. There are various sensors that will cause this but as you say the temp gauge is not working, this would normally pinpoint the problem to the Coolant temp sensor, as this has been replaced there is really only three possibilities, 1. The new sensor is faulty. 2. There is a wiring fault between the sensor and the engine ECU 3. There is an internal circuit failure within the ECU.I would be inclined to test the temp sensor using a multi meter to check the resistance, you should see 2200 ohms at 18c and 400ohms at 80c (normal operating temp) if it fails the test, try another sensor, otherwise check the pins on the sensor connector are clean and tight, the wiring needs to be checked for continuity between the temp sensor connector and the engine ECU, this circuit runs directly from the sensor to the ECU under the passenger front wheel arch liner.
Expert:  Ross replied 1 year ago.
I hope I’ve provided the information you were seeking. If you need more help, please use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If you do not require further assistance, kindly rate my service. Thank you, Ross.