Robert
Robert, Vauxhall Technician
Experience:  Fully qualified 19+yrs exp/self employed technician in the UK
13210289

Vauxhall Corsa 2007 1.2 auto. |I appear to be having a

Customer Question

Hi, Vauxhall Corsa 2007 1.2 auto. |I appear to be having a strange noise from the car when turning hard right and hard left. almost like a woodpecker but slower when driving slower and faster when driving faster. It has a creaking type noise to it but nocks arithmetic. Any ideas?
Category: Vauxhall
Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.
Hi..there..
There could be two possible areas that maybe the cause the issue your hearing..and these would be wear or excess wear on the outer cv joints "driveshaft" or wear in the top mount if the creaking occurrs under steering..going by your description the first checks that would ideally need to be made is an inspection of the cv joint.and see feel for any excess play in the joint.normally it the the cv joint nearest the hub that do excert more wear issues than the inner..so that would be the best place to start check wise on this one..I do hope this helps
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok, thank you for that advice, And can you send diagrams or illustrations of the areas in which you refer too? Can this play and wear be diagnosed by jacking up the car, loosening the weight of the wheel area for example? Do I pull at the areas in a certain way to determine if there is an issue? And could you give me an estimate cost of the replacement parts and possible labour costs for the individual jobs? Many thanks for your input. Kind regards
Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.
Hi..sorry for slow responce had internet issue ment i couldnt reply back..
Firstly you'll need to determine which side the noise emits from..you could do that by simply finding an open space or carpark and then drive the car slowly at full lock in either direction until as such you can get an idea which side you need focus on..the dirveshaft isnt that hard to see..once you get the tyre off the ground..take the tyre with both hands and then feel for any play if it seem solid enough..remove the wheel and down behind the disc you see the cv rubber boot.inside the is the cv joint there is another nearest the gearbox..take a hold of the driveshaft itself and see is the shaft feels loose or you should have a very very minimul amount of in out movement..anything excessive would mean that that likely the cv joint is worn...you could also of course too once the wheels off.make sure your handbrake is on..then start the car up and rotate the steering in either direction..that too can also help diagnose where the noise comes form too if like from those areas i mentioned above or the droplinks or steering rack or dried out balljoint..at this stage costing can only be determined once you know what the cause is..but normally driveshafts as a complete unit is best..maybe in the £90 region.with about an hours labour ontop..the top mount bearing less than £20 but labor will be slighly more due to having to compress the spring etc.so maybe an hour and half ontop..cant really give labor estimates due to varying rates across the country....but if you do these visual inspections aswell you should find out what it is