Robert
Robert, Vauxhall Technician
Experience:  Fully qualified 19+yrs exp/self employed technician in the UK
13210289

I bought a 2005 Vauxhall Astra 1.6 and on the dashboard the

I bought a 2005 Vauxhall Astra 1.6 and on the dashboard the warning
Coolant level low stays on all the time. There is nothing wrong with
The coolant level and the car runs fine. Can you suggest what the
Problem might be? Thank you
Category: Vauxhall
Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.
Hi..there..
Its no doubt the coolant level sensor thats gone faulty..this is located on the expansion tank itself your coolants in..the sensor right underneath the tank..you note a 2 pin wiring harness that leads upto a 2 pin plug which is plugged into the sensor - there 3 ways to go about trying to solve it - either remove the sensor but of course you loos some coolant in the process.and remove the tank from the car or flip it over to get access and twist and pull the sensor and clean it out - the 2nd is to disconnect the plug from the sensor..bridge it with a same guage wire,not the sensor the plug i mean..so your fooling the system to think nothing is wrong - 3rd replace the sensor or the complete expansion tank..they arent expensive at all and can be found on the likes of EBAY or try a local breakers yard..so as above a few ideas..as long as the coolant level isnt dropping..then as above is a few ways to help solve it cheaply..I do hope this helps