Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

1.7 cdti Sxi battery fully charged ignition lights come on

Customer Question

1.7 cdti Sxi battery fully charged ignition lights come on but won't even turnover when key fully turned no clicking sound or nothing was running perfectly fine before with no problems , won't even start when towed
Category: Vauxhall
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 9 months ago.
I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.
I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Professionals.
Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?
I apologize as we have not yet been able to find a Professional to assist you. Do you wish for me to continue to search for someone to assist you or would you like for us to close your question at this time?
Expert:  Matt replied 9 months ago.
Hello If the car's not cranking then first check it can turned over by hand so double checking for any mechanical issues If OK then check that the main battery cables are on tight and the terminals are clean and bright. Do the same for the engine / gearbox earth strap.Then follow the main positive lead back to the engine and down to the starter motor, and check the connection at this end as well.There should also be a small wire to the motor which should have 12V when you're turning the ignition switch to crank. If the 12V isn't there, check back along this wire for damage to the insulation or corroded connections This 12V feed comes directly from the ignition switch so this may be faulty and need replacing Check the resistance of the main positive lead that runs down to the motor as anything more than a few ohms and it should be replacedDon't forget to try a jump start from another car / battery as its possible the battery is poor, if you have a voltmeter a healthy battery should read 12.7+V also try substituting the battery for another as I've known a very flat battery to drag down the system voltage too far even with jump cablesone other thing to consider is that the immobiliser is faulty and preventing the starter from being enabled - however if the dash / ignition lights are on then this usually means that its offIf this is all OK then its possible the car needs a new starter motor Could also be an injector leaking fuel back through the overspill pipe, so not getting enough fuel pressure to tell ECU to fire the injectors, this is trickier to find and you’ll need the garage to do a ‘run back’ test to identify which one is the issue