Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

I hope you can help. I've just done a head gasket on a 05 meriva 1.7cdti. Having

Customer Question

hi, i hope you can help. I've just done a head gasket on a 05 meriva 1.7cdti. Having trouble srarting it again, when i get it started, i can keep it going but if i let go of the accelerator pedel it cuts out again and struggles to start. There are no fault codes, everything is pluged in and i tripple checked timing of the cams and cam belt before i put it back together. Any ideas? Cheers
Category: Vauxhall
Expert:  Matt replied 9 months ago.
Hello I'd 1st check the connections to the EGR valve, if either the vacuum pipe of electrical connection are damaged / corroded then the EGR can be on all time which certainly will hurt performance. Its also possible that its a fault with the EGR valve so its worth removing the valve and cleaning it out with brake cleaner, if it looks particularly clogged then replace it. Another possibility is that the fuel filter is blocked so resulting in low fuel pressure and again poor combustion - replace the filter in any case as diesels are very sensitive to this
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I'll try that thank you. Given that i have taken the injectors out, is there anything else i should be looking for that could coures low fuel pressure? I need the car in the morning, is there anthing ekse i should be looking out for. Thank you for getting back to me so quick.
Expert:  Matt replied 9 months ago.
hello low fuel pressure can be caused by a blocked fuel filter and it thats OK then it could be an issue with the metering valve on the pumpthis is fed with a pulsed 12V from the ECU according to demand and can stickit should look like the image
Expert:  Matt replied 9 months ago.
Hido you still need help?Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! Thank you
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I have changed the fuel filter and its spot on, i drive it for s bit and the car/spaner light comes on, pluged it in and the fault code p1243 comes up. What can that be? Cheers
Expert:  Matt replied 9 months ago.
Hello OK that code is low turbocharger boost pressureI'd first check all the high pressure hoses post turbo/s for any split hoses or cracked metal pipes, also check the ends of the intercooler as its not unheard of to pop the end caps off under high boost. If this is OK then check the small vacuum lines to the turbo and its connected control solenoid on the bulkhead, any cracks or leaks can give turbo issuesAlso have a feel around with your bare hands with the engine running to see if you can feel any escaping gas under your touch. Another method is to use a soap and water solution sprayed onto any suspect areas - if there's a leak it'll bubble up with the engine running Also check that the vacuum hose running to the dump / turbo bypass valve is intact with no leaks as if the dump valve is opening prematurely you'll be losing all your boost If this is OK then remove the high pressure intake hose after the turbo and have a feel of the turbine wheel - there should be no play radially at all - but a little bit of axial / end to end float is normal one other possibility is that the wastegate actuator spring has gone soft so allowing the wastegate to open prematurely - if your actuator has a threaded end you can increase the preload on it to see if this improves things otherwise these units are quite cheap compared to a new turbo so it may be worth trying a replacement
Expert:  Matt replied 9 months ago.