Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

I've just bought a 2005 vivaro sportive 1.9. The battery

Customer Question

Hi. I've just bought a 2005 vivaro sportive 1.9. The battery light and stop light is on but has new battery not so long ago and I've just had the alternater tested and was told is all working OK. Any ideas? It's had engine rebuild 2 yrs ago. Also there's a smell of hot wires or something coming from the front of the engine. Hard to trace where the smells coming from.
Category: Vauxhall
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 1 year ago.
I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.
I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Professionals.
Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Still need advice.
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.
Hello I'd next check that the alternator is actually charging the battery in the car by taking a battery voltage reading with the engine off then another with the engine running. The 2nd reading should be higher than the 1st and climbing steadily. And also check that the alternator is secure to the engine as this provides the ground for the charging circuit and make sure that the engine / gearbox earth strap is secure and the contacts are clean and bright. and the burning smell needs further investigation check carefully around the exhaust manifold to see if anything is touching onto the metal