Robert
Robert, Vauxhall Technician
Experience:  Fully qualified 19+yrs exp/self employed technician in the UK
13210289

I have 1.8 Zafira the cam belt went while driving does this

I have 1.8 Zafira the cam belt went while driving does this mean the head is gone the year is Y reg
Category: Vauxhall
Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.
Hi..there.. Most likely damage has occured sadly with the valves anyway..regardless of whether some get away without damage which is pretty seldom you still have to check it out for damage anyway..only way to know that without removing the head..is to get a garage to do a leak down test on all 4 cylinders.as long as they set each cylinder they test with all valves in the closed position - doesnt matter what position piston is in..they will be able to tell what valves are damaged or leaking when they should be sealed closed and to what extent the damage maybe..this saves generally fitting a new timing belt kit only for it to come off again to replace the head or valves damaged..its also to gives the oppertunity to ask yourself whether its work repairing based on its mileage and age..so all you you'll be really paying for as starting point to check for damage is the garage's time doing the leak down test with the proper equipment and then make the decision after which to go ahead with the repair..I do hope this helps
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Tanks very much I have made my mind up scrap it
Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.
No problem.. yeah certainly with the age that it is value wise - over costing of repair..alot of the time makes sense to cut your losses....However if ever need anything else advice wise then just ask... Also please dont forget to leave a rating before you log out..thank you