Robert
Robert, Vauxhall Technician
Experience:  Fully qualified 19+yrs exp/self employed technician in the UK
13210289

I have a 1997 Vauxhall Astra hatchback which is still very

I have a 1997 Vauxhall Astra hatchback which is still very valuable to me and is extremely good condition, I have a worrying problem, if I don't drive it everyday or I suspect a hard frost overnight, it will stick when I engage and try to move off it's just like when you first start to learn and you find the balance with the clutch. If I am in reverse I can actually see the front lift, I tried it, putting it into first gear and moving forward tiny fraction before putting it into reverse which worked I thought I'd found the answer but I actually felt a slight hesitation when I used this method about two or three days ago. Can you give me any information/help?
Category: Vauxhall
Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.
Hi..there.. How do you mean stick? the car wont move and needs to be driven forward and back to release? Or is the gear selection notchy or binding or clutch feel heavy etc?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes to the first question it is almost as if the car is trying to move as I said before it's like holding on the clutch I can even see the bonnet come up
Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.
Ok.. I think the most logical check considering the age of the car..would be the brake system.normally those car tend to have issue with rubber brake lines collapesing/breaking down internally and this in turn wouldnt allow the caliper pistons to retract properly thus causing partical braking or dragging on certain wheels..id say at least that would be your best starting point..the fact that you do mention having to drive forward then reverse to get it move? would suggest that one of the wheels is locked or dragging so the cars basically having to release itself or unstick its own brakes to move properly..Normally the checks made is checking for excess heat produce from each wheel..so if ones hotter then the rest then that wheel/brake will be your problem..next check is all wheels off..check condition of pads/ caliper piston movement/ brake pad carrier and pads are able to move freely..disc surface condition for heat damage..rear would be shoes binding,sticking or brake cylinder issues...Besides if the clutch itself seems to be fine with good bite point and no other issues like slipping or gear change problems..then the brake system would be the first area to have checked out at least..I do hope this helps
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you I will study this my knowledge being much less than yours.. My first thought is to send your answer to an extremely helpful mechanic who has carried out a couple of jobs for me very successfully
Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.
No problem..least its a starting point checks wise - rather than jump in throwing parts at it... please dont forget to leave a rating above..thank you